+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it time to stop BFing?

I put this in the mixed section because I'm not opposed to start the ottle if thats what I need to do.... But I will be seeing my GP as well, I just wanted some mothers advice too.

My LO is 13 weeks old and exclusively BFing. Last week I got AF... I told my mum on the weekend and she asked me if my milk was drying up, it seemed fine though. Ive changed nothing in the past week, eating welll and frequently. Bub was pretty sick last week but is much better now.

Sunday night my boobs where not ''re-filling'' as usual and I thought nothing of it, they fill up over night anyway... This has not happened since. Bub sleeps for at least 6 hours overnight and they are not getting full.

He is getting some but is not satisfied after a feed. He would usually have a feed and go down for a sleep but now he wont sleep through the day after a feed and is very irritable, always wanting to be on the boob.

This happened with DS1 at 4 weeks, being a young, stressed mum I gave up to easily. I was so happy to feed ds2, although I struggled getting my milk in, it was hard hard work to exclusively BF. In hospital he wasnt getting enough milk and lost too much weight so the pead put us on mixed feeds until my milk became normal and he flourished and after a few weeks I was exclusively BFing...

I know they say it cant run out if bub is feeding but I cant keep him on the boob all day and not have him satisfied. Has this happened to anyone? A sudden decrease in milk and it has or has not come back.

I should add that I go back to work in 7 weeks so I was going to start weaning soon, but it is a little disappointing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It may well just be your breasts adjusting to yours and bubs routine. Not feeling heavy and massively full like in the first month isn't a definitive sign that your milk is drying up.
    I have never heard of getting your period affecting milk supply either. Best indicator is of bubs is having plenty of wet nappies and continues to put on weight.

Bubs may just be fussy due to the wonder week, he is likely to want more comfort and feed more at these times - that isn't because he isn't getting enough milk really. More so just the growth spurt causing some discomfort and fussing.

If you want to mix feed or change to FF that's entirely up to you. But it sounds like he is just going through a grumpy patch and your boobs are adjusting to the supply and demand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there
    Congratulations for BFing for 13 weeks so far

Your milk supply may have settled down at this stage, so that's why you don't get that 'full' feeling in between feeds - that is perfectly normal and it doesn't mean you don't have enough milk.

As for baby being 'unsatisfied' there could be a few things going on - he may be going through a growth spurt so he wants to feed more to increase your milk supply to meet his needs. Once you're producing the extra milk he should settle down. Or baby may be unsettled for another reason other than hunger - is he going through a wonder week or learning something new? My boys have always had periods of clinginess on and off for various reasons, and sometimes they just want to feed and feed to feel comfort/connection.

I don't know anything about bottle feeding or mixed feeding though, so maybe another hubber can help you.

Also, I found the Australian Breastfeeding Assoc helpline a godsend with my first bub.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    It may well just be your breasts adjusting to yours and bubs routine. Not feeling heavy and massively full like in the first month isn't a definitive sign that your milk is drying up.
    I have never heard of getting your period affecting milk supply either. Best indicator is of bubs is having plenty of wet nappies and continues to put on weight.

Bubs may just be fussy due to the wonder week, he is likely to want more comfort and feed more at these times - that isn't because he isn't getting enough milk really. More so just the growth spurt causing some discomfort and fussing.

If you want to mix feed or change to FF that's entirely up to you. But it sounds like he is just going through a grumpy patch and your boobs are adjusting to the supply and demand.
    Haha SNAP! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies... I guess when times get tough its easy to want to throw in the towel...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find that my kids get fussy when I have af. I reckon if you can stick out a bit longer (how long is your choice, I can't tell you that) then you may find that things improve. In the meantime try eating lots of oats, taking fenugreek and blessed thistle (health food store) and maybe even making lactation cookies. The other thing would be to ask the dr for a motillium script so if things get really bad you have it on hand. Some of the ladies on here find they need to take a bigger dose than what most drs prescribe so don't be afraid to talk doses with us.

And good on you for getting this far.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

MyBubbaJack  (07-05-2014)