+ Reply to Thread
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thumbs up Does anyone else practice yoga?

For the past 6 months I've been getting really serious about yoga, I really love it, not only physically, but it seems to clear my head a lot as well.

It's such a varied practice, I'd love to know what types of yoga other people are into, what parts they enjoy the most, and what things they find challenging...

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have practiced iyengar yoga on and off for many years, I really enjoy it. I am currently pregnant 31 weeks and am also still doing prenatal. I love yoga, I'm not really into any of the spiritual stuff I just enjoy the exercise and feeling afterwards. I have tried bikram but to me that is not yoga..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm just about to try Iyengar yoga out, I was a bit put off it to begin with because of a friend of mine who must have had quite a 'hard' Iyengar teacher, and it all sounded a little like torture!
    Now I know a bit more about it, I'm really keen to check out the local teacher.

I have a friend who teaches Hatha yoga, and I go to her classes, but I recently discovered Yin yoga, which involves holding the poses for say 5 minutes at a time, and I do that at night, it really helps to relax me for sleep, and has done wonders for my insomnia.

When you say spiritual stuff, do you mean the meditation and breathing etc?

I don't really see it as being spiritual either, I do do meditation and stuff, but to me it's still part of the physical practise.

Do you prefer Iyengar for a particular reason, or was it the one you started with, and you've just stuck with?

I think my views on Bikram yoga are probably similar to yours, I can't really 'get' it to be honest, I don't really see how exercising that hard in that hot an environment can be good for you, but there are lots of people who swear by it. Each to their own I guess!

I'm currently focussing on headstands and handstands, as my upper body needs strength.

It's great you are still doing it at 31 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I'm one of those freaks that loved bikram, but I haven't practised any yoga since dd was born. I do miss it dreadfully I just haven't made the time for myself.
    I don't think I'd go back to bikram as money is much tighter now and it's very exxy.
    I was thinking of getting a dvd and trying yoga from home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think when I say spiritual I mean more the 'yoga' way of life. Where it becomes more of a subculture. I do enjoy the relaxation but have always struggled with the meditation as I've never been able to clear my head. I use that time as just some time out. I've enjoyed that time so much more now that I'm pregnant. I definitely think last weeks class was my last though, im surprised I made it to 31 weeks! I really struggled and found I had to use the bolster/blankets for most poses.

To be really honest I'm not sure why Ive stuck with inyengar, it was our local studio and I just enjoyed it. I have tried Bikram but for me it is not yoga, its for footballers and pretty lorna jane wearing fitness fanatics lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel much better for the day if I start with 6 sun salutations after feeding DD/ before my brekkie. I put bub next to me on the living room floor and she likes to grab at my hands and feet as I move through the postures. It's just 5 mins but realistic enough for me to do each morning. I plan to start doing some longer yoga practices from YouTube videos - I find the yogatic channel quite good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    I feel much better for the day if I start with 6 sun salutations after feeding DD/ before my brekkie. I put bub next to me on the living room floor and she likes to grab at my hands and feet as I move through the postures. It's just 5 mins but realistic enough for me to do each morning. I plan to start doing some longer yoga practices from YouTube videos - I find the yogatic channel quite good.
    What a great idea! Ill definitely check this out was wandering how I would get to practice after bub arrives

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeee For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Little Miss Sunshine I tried quite hard when my boys were little to do Yoga, it was really hard, they would totally freak out when I lay on the ground to do something, or got into a weird pose lol. Now they quite like it (years later) and my 8 year old is like a pretzel! I must try Bikram Yoga, just to have experienced it, I think the series of poses he has chosen is probably really good, as he has been doing yoga for so many years, just the heat thing freaks me out! lol.
    @Joeee Oh yeah, I get what you are saying, luckily yoga is so diverse there is a type to suit everyone just about,and you can delve into deeply, or not so much.

I'm doing a diploma of yoga teaching at the moment, so I am studying yoga in its entirety, the full 8 arms of it as set down by Patanjali, it's pretty involved, and is going to take some getting my head around, especially all the Sanskrit terms.
    @Piyamj - I think that's really important, realising what is realistic for you in whatever your stage of life, and being OK with that. Yoga is yoga.
    I get annoyed I'm on dialup, as I can't watch any video stuff at all, too slow, and there is SO much awesome free yoga on YouTube.

I'm 1/2 way through my first Yoga assignment, it's so interesting, and is forcing me to 'think outside the square' a bit, always a good thing I suppose!!

Something which is quite intriguing is the use of Yantras, pictorial/symbolic representations of certain mantras, I'd not really known what they were before.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 07-05-2014 at 10:21.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (07-05-2014)