+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Acadaca;7755166]
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    I'm an ex child care worker and have seen some pretty shocking things in regards to families trying to leave their obviously sick children at child care too. Are these parents aware that it's a cycle?! Each time they bring their child in sick and pass it on to another, it comes back to their household a few weeks later as it does the rounds.

I am in a job where if I call in sick nobody minds. So I don't have to send my kids to daycare if they're obviously sick. However, I can understand how it may happen that if you own your own business and have a really important meeting/job etc or if you felt you would lose your job/much needed income if you stayed at home it might seem necessary to drop a snotty kid and run.

While I agree totally that sick kids shouldn't be at daycare and I don't want unwell kids around my kids, I do understand that my life and my choices are easier than those that other people are facing. I find some of the posts in this thread really harsh and pointing to some parents as though they have no feelings for their own children or those of others. I would hazard a guess that there are very few parents like that and would like to suggest that some people are just left in really hard positions.
    i do agree with this....that i hope most parents would not want to send a sick child to school...

i would love to hear someone actually admit on here that yes they sent their child to daycare KNOWING they where too ill to go ie gastro, high temp, had been vomiting etc and to the reason they did it...wouldnt happen cos they would get flamed BUT i would be interested in thier real reasons...we assume its because they mightnt get paid / worry about losing a job / pay etc...but my friend once sent her DS to daycare with a raging chest infection/ green snot etc etc etc because "someone else can deal with it today".. i was i admit pretty cheesed off when i heard her say that....so we cannot assume its just cos of lack of pay etc.....as with a PP i lost days of pay last year.. ...because i ran out of MY sick leave within 3 months of returning to work with my DD first winter in daycare....i took yesterday off again with no pay cos she had a cough...and oddly enuf i have to argue with DH to NOT send them cos he also can be pretty blase about sending them when they are IMO too sick to go....which is hypocritical considering he himself will take 3 days off for man -cold....as a consequence tho i will admit that i spread germs around my office cos i went to work sick for months with a chronic virus last year.(altho docs said i wasnt contagious?)...it was either me stay home or use my annual leave / leave without pay for keeping DD / DS out of daycare when they were sick.....ive seen kids vomiting at 7.30am at daycare...the parents would have known that child was sick considering the poor kid was lethargic and barely moving laying down etc..a few days later my children were vomiting....that is irresponsible beyond my comprehension...job or no job, loss of pay or whatever....
    Last edited by jfblady72; 29-04-2014 at 09:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=jfblady72;7755434]
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post

i do agree with this....that i hope most parents would not want to send a sick child to school...

i would love to hear someone actually admit on here that yes they sent their child to daycare KNOWING they where too ill to go ie gastro, high temp, had been vomiting etc and to the reason they did it...wouldnt happen cos they would get flamed BUT i would be interested in thier real reasons...we assume its because they mightnt get paid / worry about losing a job / pay etc...but my friend once sent her DS to daycare with a raging chest infection/ green snot etc etc etc because "someone else can deal with it today".. i was i admit pretty cheesed off when i heard her say that....so we cannot assume its just cos of lack of pay etc.....as with a PP i lost days of pay last year.. ...because i ran out of MY sick leave within 3 months of returning to work with my DD first winter in daycare....i took yesterday off again with no pay cos she had a cough...and oddly enuf i have to argue with DH to NOT send them cos he also can be pretty blase about sending them when they are IMO too sick to go....which is hypocritical considering he himself will take 3 days off for man -cold....as a consequence tho i will admit that i spread germs around my office cos i went to work sick for months with a chronic virus last year.(altho docs said i wasnt contagious?)...it was either me stay home or use my annual leave / leave without pay for keeping DD / DS out of daycare when they were sick.....ive seen kids vomiting at 7.30am at daycare...the parents would have known that child was sick considering the poor kid was lethargic and barely moving laying down etc..a few days later my children were vomiting....that is irresponsible beyond my comprehension...job or no job, loss of pay or whatever....
    Sorry but how can you call someone irresponsible for sending their sick kids to daycare yet you admit to spreading a chronic virus through your office because you kept going to work sick, that sounds pretty damn irresponsible to me. How does that make you any better than those parents who are sending their sick kids to daycare, it doesn't !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Angels4me;7755481]
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post

Sorry but how can you call someone irresponsible for sending their sick kids to daycare yet you admit to spreading a chronic virus through your office because you kept going to work sick, that sounds pretty damn irresponsible to me. How does that make you any better than those parents who are sending their sick kids to daycare, it doesn't !!
    She does say in her post that the dr told her she wasn't contagious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If my kids FEEL sick I stay home and keep them home, or if they have something obviously contagious like conjunctivitis, or a croupy cough or gastro or a high temperature. Vomit would be a definite stay home, as would goopy eyes.

If they are feeling well within themselves and are happy to go, I will send with a slightly runny nose and post nasal drip, mild cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL..i KNEW that i could rely on BH for the requisite misplaced mis-read outrage ....thats right...i wasnt contagious...no one caught my bug or whatever it is was not even DH...after 6 trips to GP etc..anwyay...the point was to illustrate that you cant assume the reasons why ppl send thier kids to daycare if sick..i think there could be numerous reasons...im was trying to find out WHY ppl who did actually DID it...obviously parenst do it reguarly butno one on BH does it of course ....some ppl seem to think that its "understandable" if u risk losing pay or a job but i know ppl who send them cos they couldnt be bothered dealing with a sick kid at home and or they are blase about it ....and so theoretically if i was "contagious" with a low grade virus..i had that virus literally for over 6 months..so according to BH norm then i should have stayed at home, no pay for 6+ months cos i had a chronic sore throat but still completely functional..and of course i would have lost my job etc...so yep i will admit that in that circumstance i would pick my families well being and ability to be fed and housed over the risk of spreading germs to a stranger at work and yep im a hypocrite i guess but hey..i guess the point is ppl send kids to daycare sick all the time...if its an issue at my daycare i would take it up with the director if i noticed it a lot...some parents will send thier kids sick to daycare i would just love to hear the circumstances around why they did it..like if someone literally and in all honesty was going to get sacked if they took another day off would that be OK??? has anyone actually been in that situation??? i think it would be awful if someone was...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tikigirl View Post
    What annoys me the most is that I'll keep them home with one bug, and then within days of returning to daycare they'll have picked up something else. It's brutal.
    Yep - exactly. It's really tough and unfair.

Ya know, no wonder so many people suffer stress and depression now days with all the demands of households being two income requirements (unless your married to a Dr etc)

It's really tough the pressure that is put on families. I am blaming the government more than anyone for this issue.

I am feeling the pressure as I only have 6 months left at my current work place before i go on mat leave ... I need to try and keep DS as healthy as possible so i don't miss too much work so i don't get the sack before i get my mat leave.

But I am also someone that puts his health before anything so when he's sick, i keep him home in the warmth and comfort.

I feel guilty though for trying to me a good mum. If I lose my job, I am screwed.
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 29-04-2014 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post
    LOL..i KNEW that i could rely on BH for the requisite misplaced mis-read outrage ....thats right...i wasnt contagious...no one caught my bug or whatever it is was not even DH...after 6 trips to GP etc..anwyay...the point was to illustrate that you cant assume the reasons why ppl send thier kids to daycare if sick..i think there could be numerous reasons...im was trying to find out WHY ppl who did actually DID it...obviously parenst do it reguarly butno one on BH does it of course ....some ppl seem to think that its "understandable" if u risk losing pay or a job but i know ppl who send them cos they couldnt be bothered dealing with a sick kid at home and or they are blase about it ....and so theoretically if i was "contagious" with a low grade virus..i had that virus literally for over 6 months..so according to BH norm then i should have stayed at home, no pay for 6+ months cos i had a chronic sore throat but still completely functional..and of course i would have lost my job etc...so yep i will admit that in that circumstance i would pick my families well being and ability to be fed and housed over the risk of spreading germs to a stranger at work and yep im a hypocrite i guess but hey..i guess the point is ppl send kids to daycare sick all the time...if its an issue at my daycare i would take it up with the director if i noticed it a lot...some parents will send thier kids sick to daycare i would just love to hear the circumstances around why they did it..like if someone literally and in all honesty was going to get sacked if they took another day off would that be OK??? has anyone actually been in that situation??? i think it would be awful if someone was...
    I didn't misread anything, you said that you will admit that you went to work and spread your germs when you had a chronic virus and that to me is pretty hypocritical when you are calling other parents irresponsible for doing the same thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had JUST returned to work after 10 months maternity leave when my baby boy came home with gastro and I had to take the next week and a half off (yes he had it that long, and then I had it, and then my husband had it). But it was definitely not an option for me to send him to daycare sick so that I could go to work. Luckily my work is understanding of these sorts of things.
    If it were a risk of go to work or get fired, I'd still stay home. I personally feel that the health and wellbeing of mine and other peoples children is far more important than me going to work. If I had that sort of work, I would feel it was not a good situation to be in as a mum of 3 very young children and would be looking for other work.
    But that's coming from I suppose a "priveleged" view. We don't earn good money, and we would struggle a lot if I lost my job, but still.. health is more important. If I was the only one with work, and I knew I'd struggle to find other work, and we wouldn't survive if I got fired.. well. I guess that's when things get really hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From a teachers perspective, it's so annoying when parents would drop their child at school and say "oh they were vomitting all night" or "they don't feel well today" or other sickness symptoms. Seriously? Keep them home!!!
    Certain viruses can spread like wildfire. I once had seven children at school because the rest of the class had gastro.
    If you know it is something contagious or serious or your child is generally unwell and miserable, please don't send them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I had JUST returned to work after 10 months maternity leave when my baby boy came home with gastro and I had to take the next week and a half off (yes he had it that long, and then I had it, and then my husband had it). But it was definitely not an option for me to send him to daycare sick so that I could go to work. Luckily my work is understanding of these sorts of things.
    If it were a risk of go to work or get fired, I'd still stay home. I personally feel that the health and wellbeing of mine and other peoples children is far more important than me going to work. If I had that sort of work, I would feel it was not a good situation to be in as a mum of 3 very young children and would be looking for other work.
    But that's coming from I suppose a "priveleged" view. We don't earn good money, and we would struggle a lot if I lost my job, but still.. health is more important. If I was the only one with work, and I knew I'd struggle to find other work, and we wouldn't survive if I got fired.. well. I guess that's when things get really hard.
    yes, we are "privileged" too in the sense that we have two adults working and my DH gets 18 days off per year (9 sick leave + 9 days carers leave ,awesome i know ) .....

on an another note

this thread comes up at the beginning of every winter and i suppose i would be keen to hear from ppl who HAD to (in thier own opinion) send thier kid to daycare when sick..ie were they mentally unwell/ depressed etc? were they going to lose thier job is they took another day off? i guess it just proves that those wicked scumbags who send thier kids to school with gastro and temps dont frequent parenting sites ...

however..on a more depressing note....my husband is officially a wicked scumbag cos he sent our DD to school today and of course its ME who gets the call saying she has a temp...**** you DH **** YOU . he who gets so much leave....***hole.