+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    That's the first i have heard of that! Have any info to back that up as i am really curious to know more about that. Everything I have found online says the complete opposite.

DS's GP said a clear runny nose is normal and not necessarily the beginning of a cold or virus all the time. It can also be hey fever.

I found this link:

http://hubpages.com/hub/snotdecodedwhatdoessnotcolormean

Google nhmrc exclusion. They have a few documents but I found a big one that listed a heaps of illnesses separately and the pretty much said that the first fee days are the worst. I'll try and find a link.

ETA: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ments/ch43.pdf

Page 43 is the common cold.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess you need to think that of you send your sick kid in, other parents possibly do the same... How would YOU feel if your child caught an illness because an uneducated, selfish parent couldn't be bothered or care enough to keep their sick kid home . Also what about the staff who could possibly catch any illness, then pass it on to their own families.
    We all know when kids are sick they want their mummy, child care educators give great cuddles but do not have the time or opportunity to provide the care an unwell child needs and should receive.
    There's a book called 'stating healthy in child care' that centres use as a guide, most centres have policies in place aswell relating to when it's acceptable to send a child in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aren't lots of things contagious before they even show symptoms? DS has had a runny nose for weeks especially with the cooler weather, he's not sick though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Aren't lots of things contagious before they even show symptoms? DS has had a runny nose for weeks especially with the cooler weather, he's not sick though.
    Yep. Prime example is my DS2 last week. I had a phone call to say that they thought he had slap cheek and he needed to see the dr. Off we go to the dr to get checked out. Even if it had if been confirmed he was still allowed at cc because once the rash comes out they aren't contagious anymore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the same experience as Blessed Bee - I've been called "one of the better parents" for keeping my sick kids at home as often as possible. I have gone into arrears with sick leave and had days when I didn't get paid when I had to stay home. My first child was constantly sick in his first year at daycare, and now my second is copping it. In the first year of the childcare experience my husband and I caught every bug too, and I ended up with three chest infections and gastro while pregnant. Last year my son was hospitalised when he got terribly sick with a daycare bug. I keep them home whenever I can but to be frank, if I kept them home for every day of a snotty nose or a lingering cough they'd never attend. And I have to work. I work with kids too - you do develop an immunity. What annoys me the most is that I'll keep them home with one bug, and then within days of returning to daycare they'll have picked up something else. It's brutal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm an ex child care worker and have seen some pretty shocking things in regards to families trying to leave their obviously sick children at child care too. Are these parents aware that it's a cycle?! Each time they bring their child in sick and pass it on to another, it comes back to their household a few weeks later as it does the rounds. Then they do the same thing and it goes around again! If your child needs panadol keep them at home. If your child has green snot ********* down their nose, keep them at home. If your child has or is vomiting, keep them at home. If your child has a rash, get it checked by a doctor and get a clearance. I could go on. But let's be honest, we all know when our children are sick. People need to understand that they're part of a community whether they like it or not. That's just what happens when you enrol your child in day care or school. We need to be mindful of the health and safety of others, especially when it comes to early childhood. These children are precious and need to come first. As stated in previous posts there are children in care that are more susceptible to infections and illnesses, and for them an illness like the 'common cold' can be life threatening. You might think it's not your responsibility BUT..I'll say it again, we are a community and you need to respect the health and safety of others within it.
    If anyone is unsure about exclusion periods and so on, just look up Staying Healthy in Child Care, 4th Edition and do the right thing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (28-04-2014),ClearCrystal  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To answer OP, we have a running joke that dd1 goes to daycare 1 day in 4. We joke about how much money we donate to the centre, as they don't do make up days etc.
    I have been told I'm very vigilant with excluding him by the workers at the centre. We also have an immuno compromised family member so if we get any notifications of any big outbreak we keep him out.

He has been in with runny nose( hayfevers etc) a cough (he gets many chest infections which are not contagious)
    Never goes in with a temp, any contagious virus such as conjunctivitis, cold, if he needs medications, has cold or if I feel he would be distressed in any way without me there (if teething, generally not well etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Koarlo;7755122]I'm an ex child care worker and have seen some pretty shocking things in regards to families trying to leave their obviously sick children at child care too. Are these parents aware that it's a cycle?! Each time they bring their child in sick and pass it on to another, it comes back to their household a few weeks later as it does the rounds.

I am in a job where if I call in sick nobody minds. So I don't have to send my kids to daycare if they're obviously sick. However, I can understand how it may happen that if you own your own business and have a really important meeting/job etc or if you felt you would lose your job/much needed income if you stayed at home it might seem necessary to drop a snotty kid and run.

While I agree totally that sick kids shouldn't be at daycare and I don't want unwell kids around my kids, I do understand that my life and my choices are easier than those that other people are facing. I find some of the posts in this thread really harsh and pointing to some parents as though they have no feelings for their own children or those of others. I would hazard a guess that there are very few parents like that and would like to suggest that some people are just left in really hard positions.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Fashionvictim  (28-04-2014),kw123  (29-04-2014),Meld85  (28-04-2014),RipperRita  (28-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child care and sick kids

DS is kept home if he is out of sorts, has a cough, an obvious cold or requires any sort of pain relief. He gets ear infections a lot! He has had adenoids removed and grommets put in. Once he is feeling well with these and has started on antibiotics and no longer needs Panadol he will go. Our CC is happy to give antibiotics if the child is happy and feeling well again and not contagious. They have sent him home before for 'being out of sorts and developing a cough' so I have to assume they are fairly good at spotting early signs of illness and sending the kids home before things become much worse. I wouldn't send him if I thought he had the start of something. I am lucky enough to able to call on my mum to help if DH and I cannot take the day off to stay home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I'm pretty sure kids are MOST contagious in the first 2-3 days of a cold - ie, the clear runny nose stage.

Everyone here is saying they still send their kids if it's a clear runny nose but not a coloured snot. Coloured snot means the cold is older and the kid is getting over it (sinus infections aside).
    Thanks Lemon, I was just coming to write something similar

I will be sending DS to cc tomorrow. He has been unwell with an ear infection, but been on ABs since Thursday. He is still snotty and coughing a bit, but 100% happy and hasn't needed any other medicine since Saturday. He has only been in cc for a couple of months so gets a lot of colds. I just accept it is part of cc life.

DD 05/10
    DS 09/12