+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7 pages of replies and not a single person has said that they have/would send their kids to daycare whilst sick. So who are the people who do? Because I swear 80% of the kids I worked with had either a hacking cough, snotty nose with obviously infected mucous etc. And something like tonsillitis which was rife (I caught it after 2 weeks when working in a toddler room) but they get away with that and other viruses because they can't be seen half the time, they treat the temp at home and bring them in! Annoying. Centres need to crack down, I worked at a leading centre and not once did any member of staff send a child home, they just turned a blind eye and it concerned me greatly that the little ones with snot ********* down their face would slobber all over a toy like fake food in the home corner and another kid would then do the same with said toy 5 seconds later. No amount of disinfecting and wiping little faces can prevent the speed of a toddler who wants a pretend bite of a plastic apple after ripping it from the mouth of their ill friend. They don't know, they share everything!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    7 pages of replies and not a single person has said that they have/would send their kids to daycare whilst sick. So who are the people who do? Because I swear 80% of the kids I worked with had either a hacking cough, snotty nose with obviously infected mucous etc. And something like tonsillitis which was rife (I caught it after 2 weeks when working in a toddler room) but they get away with that and other viruses because they can't be seen half the time, they treat the temp at home and bring them in! Annoying. Centres need to crack down, I worked at a leading centre and not once did any member of staff send a child home, they just turned a blind eye and it concerned me greatly that the little ones with snot ********* down their face would slobber all over a toy like fake food in the home corner and another kid would then do the same with said toy 5 seconds later. No amount of disinfecting and wiping little faces can prevent the speed of a toddler who wants a pretend bite of a plastic apple after ripping it from the mouth of their ill friend. They don't know, they share everything!

At risk of getting jumped on again I actually did say I have sent my kids after they have started treatment for conjunctivitis. And also with a runny nose after 3 days of croup treatment. All this was according to nhmrc guidelines and drs advice. Can I take it that you think that the above situations don't mean my kids are sick?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    At risk of getting jumped on again I actually did say I have sent my kids after they have started treatment for conjunctivitis. And also with a runny nose after 3 days of croup treatment. All this was according to nhmrc guidelines and drs advice. Can I take it that you think that the above situations don't mean my kids are sick?
    I don't get your question? If your kids have been treated and a doctor has said that they are no longer contagious then I'm not talking about you. Unless you send them sick?
    I'm talking about those who send their kids when they are sick, just wondering who they are after observing 7 pages of everyone saying they don't send them with an illness. There are parents out there who just send them anyway, untreated and contagious, but won't admit it. (Not referring to those who have answered in this thread, referring to those who have not because they know it's wrong).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My rule is.. If they require medication to feel better.. Eg Panadol or dimetap then they can't go.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moltone For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (28-04-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-04-2014),VicPark  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry my question was kind of sarcastic because I had people tell me that I shouldn't send my kids even after I'd done those things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only time I have sent any of my kids to daycare sick (ie contagious) is when we havent actually KNOWN they were sick.

Eg- dd1 had chicken pox. Hadnt been sick, no temps and it wasnt until I noticed a couple of odd looking spots on her back in the bath at night I thought something was up. Next day a few more spots on her back had popped up so kept her home and sent her to dr to be told she had chicken pox. Let the centre know immediately and kept her home for 2 weeks. Apart from the spots on her back she was fine. Meant I had 2 weeks off work unpaid though. Same thing when my dd2 had Hand foot and mouth (at the same time dd1 had chicken pox).

The 3 months I was employed I spent more time at home with sick kids than I did at work. Thankfully my employer was very understanding and had a "family first" attitude.

Atm my kids daycare have an outbreak of croup and something else (cant remember what) in my dd2's preschool room, and another disease (again cant remember what) in dd3's nursery. Thankfully my girls have so far escaped it.

I would never knowingly send my kids to school or daycare sick.

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pretty sure kids are MOST contagious in the first 2-3 days of a cold - ie, the clear runny nose stage.

Everyone here is saying they still send their kids if it's a clear runny nose but not a coloured snot. Coloured snot means the cold is older and the kid is getting over it (sinus infections aside).

Keep your kids home on those first few days, they'll get better much quicker (their bodies can REST and stay warm), and you won't be endangering other kids.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),pinkbandicoot  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids often get a runny nose when they're teething and my second has allergies and was unfortunate enough to have huge adenoids. So he always had a snotty nose until he had surgery. He would also cough a lot due to all the mucus. Eww, I know. So I did send them with those kids of runny noses, but I wouldn't send them with a cold/temp/cough type thing.

If you're a stay at home mum your threshold will be different to a working mother. Sometimes working mothers just have the send their kids as there's no other option. It's a tough call sometimes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Sorry but it's ridiculous to compare the common cold with something like measles or meningitis.

Nuts are dangerous/lethal to a small proportion of people. It doesn't mean they are inherently dangerous/poisonous, as awful and scary as it must be to those affected.

There are scales/severity of illnesses and the common cold is right down the bottom.

It's unrealistic to expect people not to leave the house if they have a cold because they might hospitalise someone.
    Exactly. There is a huge gulf between a runny nose and measles. runny noses can mean so much including allergies and teething. Quite frankly I don't keep my kids home when teething. They get sent in to daycare with a note and sm33 or teething gel.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I'm pretty sure kids are MOST contagious in the first 2-3 days of a cold - ie, the clear runny nose stage.

Everyone here is saying they still send their kids if it's a clear runny nose but not a coloured snot. Coloured snot means the cold is older and the kid is getting over it (sinus infections aside).

Keep your kids home on those first few days, they'll get better much quicker (their bodies can REST and stay warm), and you won't be endangering other kids.
    That's the first i have heard of that! Have any info to back that up as i am really curious to know more about that. Everything I have found online says the complete opposite.

DS's GP said a clear runny nose is normal and not necessarily the beginning of a cold or virus all the time. It can also be hey fever.

I found this link:

http://hubpages.com/hub/snotdecodedwhatdoessnotcolormean