+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with @amyd on this one.

If kids have been cleared by doctors, and are haven't got what the centre deems a sickness then I don't see what the issue is. Dd1 had a weird vomiting bug a couple of months ago on the Sunday. Took her to the doc on Monday to check if she was good to go to daycare on Tues (plus I needed a cert for being away) and yep he was happy with it. Should we not trust our health care providers?

On an aside. We can't spend our whole life not doing anything cos there might be a low immunity person at school, buses, trains, planes etc. Whilst our daycare has a no nuts policy eggs and milk are allowed. Now there is a kid in dd1s kindy room that has an egg allergy. I checked with the carers if we need to not send in products with egg. They said no. So I send in baked goods as normal.

Ie both my kids and I have colds. Gunky green snotty colds. We are due to fly home tomorrow afternoon. I'm still taking my flight even if we are sick. Are we to skip our flight??

If they clear up in time they are going to daycare on Wednesday as I have appts I cannot break/change. If not I will have to drag them along.

Now whilst I sympathize with parents with kids who get sick easily, I don't think it's right to expect society as a whole to never leave the house when sick. I can be absolutely honest and say I save my sick days at work for the kids. I trudge along when I have colds, coughs and minor illnesses. If people object - feel free to pay my bills when I dont get paid.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (28-04-2014),dollypops  (28-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014),Meld85  (28-04-2014),PipersMummy  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So would you guys send your kids to school daycare with whooping cough, meningitis, meningococcal, measles, chicken pox, school sores?????

Because to some kids croup can be just as bad or worse than whooping cough. Common cold, RSV, Influenza can cause respiratory distress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm with @amyd on this one.

If kids have been cleared by doctors, and are haven't got what the centre deems a sickness then I don't see what the issue is. Dd1 had a weird vomiting bug a couple of months ago on the Sunday. Took her to the doc on Monday to check if she was good to go to daycare on Tues (plus I needed a cert for being away) and yep he was happy with it. Should we not trust our health care providers?

On an aside. We can't spend our whole life not doing anything cos there might be a low immunity person at school, buses, trains, planes etc. Whilst our daycare has a no nuts policy eggs and milk are allowed. Now there is a kid in dd1s kindy room that has an egg allergy. I checked with the carers if we need to not send in products with egg. They said no. So I send in baked goods as normal.

Ie both my kids and I have colds. Gunky green snotty colds. We are due to fly home tomorrow afternoon. I'm still taking my flight even if we are sick. Are we to skip our flight??

If they clear up in time they are going to daycare on Wednesday as I have appts I cannot break/change. If not I will have to drag them along.

Now whilst I sympathize with parents with kids who get sick easily, I don't think it's right to expect society as a whole to never leave the house when sick. I can be absolutely honest and say I save my sick days at work for the kids. I trudge along when I have colds, coughs and minor illnesses. If people object - feel free to pay my bills when I dont get paid.

With this sort of mentality Peanut butter sandwiches and mini quiches are one of my kids favourite foods. Why should my kids miss out on things they love cause someone else might have a reaction to it???? Same thing...... As for the flight I would be wearing a mask to cover your droplets... What if you have people on your flight who are having chemo treatments????

Sorry if I seem to think about everyone and not just me and my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked in childcare for 8 years & in my experience as a mum you know when your kids are sick.

The amount of kids that got high temps 4-6 hrs after drop off is ridiculous, if your giving your child panadol/nurofen they are not well enough to go to daycare.

Clear runny nose, fine. Croup, not fine.

We all have bills to pay, why should I have to take time away from work because someone else thinks their work/finances are more important than mine?

I also detest it when adults go to work and spread their germs around, if your sick stay at home & get better.

I was constantly sick for the first 2yrs of working with children, the centre I worked at were not very strict with their sickness policy, I changed to a centre that enforced their guidelines consistently & in the 5 years I worked there we had no "sickness outbreaks" of any kind. If parents bought their child in sick, they were sent home immediately & that included general unwellness.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),dollypops  (28-04-2014),MissMuppet  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sick people on flights are one of my pet hates, a plane is a flying incubator for disease.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),LoCo  (28-04-2014),pinkbandicoot  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD was kept home from daycare the other week because she was clearly unwell with a head cold - runny nose, cough, feeling miserable.

I sent her reluctantly the other day because she had a slight runny nose, but it was clear mucus and she was fine otherwise. The fact that I had seen a child care worker wipe a child's nose with a tissue after she had put a disposable glove on made me realise that they take all measures to avoid spreading germs etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post
    So would you guys send your kids to school daycare with whooping cough, meningitis, meningococcal, measles, chicken pox, school sores?????.

No. Mainly cos my two are fully vaccinated and unlikely to get them. We are not talking about contagious diseases like that... More about a common cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    No. Mainly cos my two are fully vaccinated and unlikely to get them. We are not talking about contagious diseases like that... More about a common cold.

Funny how people think the common cold is just something to fob off, maybe you need to do a tour of the children's hospitals...
    Maybe people should do research and see how many people die from the common cold compared to the other diseases I stated.... The common cold as you say is more contagious then the others too.

Not everyone dies from those other contagious things but doesn't stop it from being scary watching a family member suffer through it. Trust me I know as my ex prem contracted meningitis as a baby.

Until you see your child fighting for their life you will never understand and I will constantly beat my head against a wall at how inconsiderate people can be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

wigglemum  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post
    Funny how people think the common cold is just something to fob off, maybe you need to do a tour of the children's hospitals...
    Maybe people should do research and see how many people die from the common cold compared to the other diseases I stated.... The common cold as you say is more contagious then the others too.

Not everyone dies from those other contagious things but doesn't stop it from being scary watching a family member suffer through it. Trust me I know as my ex prem contracted meningitis as a baby.

Until you see your child fighting for their life you will never understand and I will constantly beat my head against a wall at how inconsiderate people can be.
    Before you pay people off... My dd2 was in ICU for a couple of weeks as a newborn with a common cold she picked up from her big sister. She had 3 separate viruses inc RSV.

Btw I also do work in the medical system. And I'm still saying it's ridiculous to expect people and children to stay indoors when they have a cold.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but it's ridiculous to compare the common cold with something like measles or meningitis.

Nuts are dangerous/lethal to a small proportion of people. It doesn't mean they are inherently dangerous/poisonous, as awful and scary as it must be to those affected.

There are scales/severity of illnesses and the common cold is right down the bottom.

It's unrealistic to expect people not to leave the house if they have a cold because they might hospitalise someone.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (28-04-2014),babyla  (28-04-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (28-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-04-2014)