+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So if I follow nhmrc guidelines and my drs advice I am being irresponsible? I go to the dr to see if they think my child is contagious. If they don't think my child is contagious do I need to exclude them because they still have a runny nose after an attack of croup? How about my friends child who has a runny nose for 6 months of the year and is on antibiotics all winter? Should he not attend childcare and later school for half a year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    So if I follow nhmrc guidelines and my drs advice I am being irresponsible? I go to the dr to see if they think my child is contagious. If they don't think my child is contagious do I need to exclude them because they still have a runny nose after an attack of croup? How about my friends child who has a runny nose for 6 months of the year and is on antibiotics all winter? Should he not attend childcare and later school for half a year?
    Depends why he's on antibiotics. If it's because of allergies causing a sinus infection due to inflammation & not a bug then yes that is completely different to passing a virus/bug around.

I don't see how you think it's ok to even risk another child but I bet you'd be the first to jump up and down if your child caught something that they then wound up in hospital having trouble breathing or fighting for their life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post
    Depends why he's on antibiotics. If it's because of allergies causing a sinus infection due to inflammation & not a bug then yes that is completely different to passing a virus/bug around.

I don't see how you think it's ok to even risk another child but I bet you'd be the first to jump up and down if your child caught something that they then wound up in hospital having trouble breathing or fighting for their life.
    But by following guidelines and getting drs advice I don't consider that I am risking another child. I'm really confused as to how getting expert advice that my child isn't contagious means that I am risking another child. Are you saying that the guidelines are useless or that my dr doesn't know anything about disease?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But by following guidelines and getting drs advice I don't consider that I am risking another child. I'm really confused as to how getting expert advice that my child isn't contagious means that I am risking another child. Are you saying that the guidelines are useless or that my dr doesn't know anything about disease?
    No but we are all human and people make mistakes even doctors. Doctors don't usually say "they're definitely not contagious" they may say "they shouldn't be contagious" so coming from a mother who has had to watch their child struggle to survive maybe I'm considerate to what other children might have a reaction to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you send your child to school or daycare with peanut butter or eggs???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post
    Would you send your child to school or daycare with peanut butter or eggs???
    No if it was in the school guidelines not to. Same as if it was in guidelines not to send my child before he had started treatment for x disease or had y and z as symptoms. I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't want to but a child at risk purely for my convenience but I feel like my trusting my drs and guidelines isn't seen as good enough. You are making me feel like I should only send my kids if they are 100% and if they even have a drippy nose they shouldn't go out in public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No if it was in the school guidelines not to.
    What if the school doesn't have a policy but you know for a fact that one of your child's classmates is allergic? Would you still risk just because there's no guideline?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No if it was in the school guidelines not to. Same as if it was in guidelines not to send my child before he had started treatment for x disease or had y and z as symptoms. I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't want to but a child at risk purely for my convenience but I feel like my trusting my drs and guidelines isn't seen as good enough. You are making me feel like I should only send my kids if they are 100% and if they even have a drippy nose they shouldn't go out in public.
    Depends why they have a drippy nose. If you know for certain it's due to allergies ie hay fever no problem at all. But there is a difference to hay fever and a cold and to some people the common cold is life threatening just like to some people eggs and peanut butter is life threatening.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

pinkbandicoot  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    What if the school doesn't have a policy but you know for a fact that one of your child's classmates is allergic? Would you still risk just because there's no guideline?
    Of course not. What I was trying to say is that I wouldn't disregard a guideline just for my convenience or because I 'knew' better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your child has anything that is contagious or if they are feeling sick, they should be kept at home to recover.

The schools my kids attend always send out a notice at the beginning of the year and again at the beginning of winter outlining the need for sick kids to stay home.

I don't think a clear runny nose is reason to keep them at home.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-04-2014)