+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If mine have the 'daycare drip' ( clear snotty nose) then they go to daycare, playgroup, library etc.

If it's accompanied by fever and luminous green snot then no. Both my kids have hayfever so frequently have a drippy nose for no reason. I do give them antihistamines but sometimes I forget or don't think it's that bad.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014),sweetpeamummy  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I knew if I didn't word my post carefully I would cop flack. I can't multi quote but essentially when I say I send my kids with conjunctivitis it's when they have been treated for however long the nhmrc guidelines state. If they woke up in the morning with it I wouldn't wack some drops in and send them - I don't regard that as enough treatment.

And yes, I'm the mother who sends her kids with croup. If they are on day 3 of steroids and antis, are 95% and been cleared by a doctor I don't see what the issue is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's also important to point out that my kids are a bit older now and I wasn't always so "accepting" of kids with illnesses at daycare, in fact I used to be pretty ridiculously pre occupied with my kids getting sick. I have painted myself as this easy going mother when it was far from the truth a few years ago and I don't want to mis represent myself.

When my kids were babies and I had bad PND and anxiety, one of my "things" that used to cause deliberating anxiety was my kids getting sick or being exposed to illness. I would literally sit outside the dr's surgery until it was our turn and avoid public areas or friends with older kids where my babies might pick up things. I carried around hand sanitiser and washed mine and my babies hands all the time so believe me when I say I do understand parents that get upset about kids that are sick at daycare.

I have loosened up a whole heap and it seems to be related to my recovery from anxiety... This is purely MY experience and I'm not saying that anyone that worries about sickness suffers anxiety but I was really pre occupied with it and the fact I'm not anymore signals my recovery.

I am Always incredibly respectful of other mothers (especially those with newborns) when my kids are sick and avoid public places or daycare or let other mothers know (even if mine have just a cold), just in case they suffer sickness anxiety like I used to, mainly because I remember being teased for being "obsessed" and it didn't feel nice to have my fears made fun of. However as far as daycare goes... I used to be incredibly angry when kids were sent sick (mainly because my babies getting sick was one of my biggest fears) but I seem to have come the full circle and am sort of okay with it now. I try to teach my children good hygiene, like washing hands and covering mouths when they cough etc... But it doesn't stress me as much as it used to when other kids were obviously sick.

I am just happy if other parents stick to the sickness policy.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 28-04-2014 at 09:31.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (28-04-2014),pinkbandicoot  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Im so glad my kids dont need to go to daycare... ut remember, mosy parents care even less when it comes to school - kids are sent with hacking coughs, temps, a kid in my sons class last year had literally the night before been told they have bronchitis yet the mother still sent her child, dosed up on nurofen and panadol and antibiotics.

To say it ****ed me off is an understatement. I have 1 child with a crappy immune system and damaged lungs, someome sick just has to look at him and he gets sick. But thats life for us I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd hasnt been for second week this week because of viral gastro.

Shes also caught colds etc it upsets me. I understand parents need to work but they obviously dont care about other kids. My son has been hospilized twice since dd started back. And I never send her back sick!!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Funny that this topic came up today.

DS woke up and wasnt himself, saying that he felt sick, he didnt have a temperature but he wasnt interested in breakfast & seemed lethargic.
    I told him I was going to keep him home if he was sick so he said "oh I'm all better now, I'm not sick any more!".

Not long after he felt like he had a mild temperature, so I gave him nurefin & told him to rest for a bit and see how he felt. I don't know weather he has a virus or a bug and might vomit later on so I've played it safe keeping him home today, even with him screaming the house down demanding me to take him to childcare!.

Runny noses I'm not worried about, it's when DS develops a bad cough or temperature & the obvious diarrhoea/vomiting that he stays home. Any sign of anything contagious (apart from a mild cold), he stays home. But he doesn't get really sick often, maybe once a year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I keep DS1 home from preschool if he is miserable and sick. I do send him with a runny nose (clear) or a cough. His coughs last for ages after he is sick, they just hang around so I've taught him to cover his mouth, cough away from people and wash his hands. He gets runny noses easily from dust.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I knew if I didn't word my post carefully I would cop flack. I can't multi quote but essentially when I say I send my kids with conjunctivitis it's when they have been treated for however long the nhmrc guidelines state. If they woke up in the morning with it I wouldn't wack some drops in and send them - I don't regard that as enough treatment.

And yes, I'm the mother who sends her kids with croup. If they are on day 3 of steroids and antis, are 95% and been cleared by a doctor I don't see what the issue is.
    The issue is you aren't thinking of other children at the centre. How do you know there isn't someone there that is in the same boat as my child. Ex prem with Chronic Lung Disease. My Child wound up in the hospital only a few weeks ago with Croup. Because of how early my child was born the lungs are now damaged so for your child Croup might be mild and only requires a doctors visit where as my child catches croup we end up in hospital needing nebulizer, dex & oxygen. Oxygen saturations drop so requires oxygen as well. Not to mention the struggle for every breath with a major strider and recession of the chest walls.... I saw my child fight for life for the first 12 weeks of life & then to have to go through seeing my child fighting for breath once again isn't something I would wish on anyone but I would wish people would stop and think about others for a change. How would you feel if another parent sent their child with meningitis? Because for us you sending your child with croup could put a child like mine in hospital fighting for their life.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

ElleB  (28-04-2014),pinkbandicoot  (29-04-2014),Vonnie89  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sick kids at school is a pet peeve of mine. DS's best friend turned up at school before Easter with a terrible cough. His mum said she knew he was sick but didn't want him to miss out. So my DS caught it and missed all the school Easter celebrations he'd been looking forward to. If your kids are clearly sick and you know it then they should be at home. It's different if they seem fine and then suddenly come down sick at school, or if they have a post viral cough - that's not what bugs me. It's when they have clearly just come down with something and still go to school that frustrates me.

i have another friend who thinks kids should never miss school, not even when sick so her kids go with everything under the sun. Yep, this is one issue that makes me judgy. Your kids might sail through illnesses, but others end up in hospital with asthma or other complications. It's no wonder schools and childcare are hotbeds of illness. It doesn't need to be that way.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),monnie24  (28-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-04-2014),PomPoms  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post

The issue is it isn't the school or daycares job to look after your sick child, its your job.
    Not to mention all the other children you are putting at risk.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),PomPoms  (28-04-2014)