+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    My 2 will go with colds, asthma, conjunctivitis (provided I have started treating it). I don't send them if the infectious disease table lists and exclusion, I also don't sent them with high temps - if the have a temp just above normal and they seem happy and have had that temp come and go for a few days I send them, I don't sent them if they are miserable. I have sent them with a lot of things because otherwise they just wouldn't get there half the time.
    Woah, that's gross. Conjunctivitis is highly contagious, and as far as I can remember you are supposed to exclude them until discharge has stopped.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (29-04-2014),mel04  (28-04-2014),Meld85  (28-04-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (28-04-2014),RoseBetweenTheThorns  (28-04-2014),Serenity Love  (28-04-2014),VicPark  (28-04-2014),Yep  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This kind of attitude really bugged me when I worked in childcare. I understand parents have commitments which is why the majority of children are in childcare. However, when you send your sick kid in, you're basically giving every worker and child in that center the middle finger. I don't want whatever illness your kid is fighting and im sure all the other parents are stoked when they have to take time away from their commitments because you couldnt be bothered to do the right thing and keep your kid at home.

Eta: While your child is at preschool they are running around and not allowing their bodies the rest they need to recover.
    Last edited by Vonnie89; 28-04-2014 at 07:57.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Vonnie89 For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (28-04-2014),ClearCrystal  (28-04-2014),dee1  (28-04-2014),Fiery  (28-04-2014),Funnels  (28-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-05-2014),mel04  (28-04-2014),MissMuppet  (28-04-2014),monnie24  (28-04-2014),mum2mj  (01-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (28-04-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-04-2014),Tamtam  (28-04-2014),Tommi  (28-04-2014),Yep  (30-04-2014),~BEXTER~  (30-04-2014),~Marigold~  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Contagious? No. Clear snotty nose, yes. If my child is happy to go then i'm happy to send them as long as what they have is not catching. It annoys me when people send their children who have obvious gastro (ie when i'm dropping my dd at 8am and there is a child who has exploded in their pants or vomited. Her parents have done this a few times).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't send them when they are sick. I wouldn't want to go to work when I was sick so I wouldn't send my children to daycare sick.
    amyd - I am shocked your childcare allows you to send a child with conjunctivitis, its highly contagious.
    Our daycare has a rule which I love. If they have to wipe your childs nose 3 times in 2 hours they are sending them home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Conjunctivitis- no I definitely wouldn't send them.
    First couple of days of a cold I would keep them home. When they seem to be over it with just lingering runny nose I send them. Though I have the luxury of grandparents babysitting when they are sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Conjunctivitis is highly contagious! Even if you've started treating it. I would definitely keep my kid home if they had that.

Clear runny nose and otherwise totally happy? He would definitely be going.

He did have a rash once which daycare thought might be HFM. I took him to the GP who said it wasn't and got a certificate so he could go back. I think that's fair enough.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DD's CC allows conjunctivitis providing it has been treated with appropriate drops for a certain period of time (I think maybe 24 hours) and is obviously on the mend (as opposed to full of yuck).

I wouldn't send my child if they had any sort of temp. Clear runny nose is fine (providing there are no other symptoms) but anything else is probably not. The first one or two years of child care during the winter season can be a nightmare for sicknesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Child care and sick kids

I've never know a centre or a preschool that wouldn't turn you around at the door with conjunctivitis.

Oh I just saw your reply Busy-Bee. That make sense.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 28-04-2014 at 08:15.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (28-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    This kind of attitude really bugged me when I worked in childcare. I understand parents have commitments which is why the majority of children are in childcare. However, when you send your sick kid in, you're basically giving every worker and child in that center the middle finger. I don't want whatever illness your kid is fighting and im sure all the other parents are stoked when they have to take time away from their commitments because you couldnt be bothered to do the right thing and keep your kid at home.

Eta: While your child is at preschool they are running around and not allowing their bodies the rest they need to recover.
    I agree.

My kids are not sent when they are sick period. I have an ex prem who has Chronic Lung Disease so what most of you call a common cold well my child winds up in hospital needing dex, ventolin, steroids & sometimes oxygen to help get over it. It is horrible seeing my child having trouble breathing from just the common cold virus.

I do the right thing by sending non allergy food for the kids who have allergies but other parents aren't as concerned about thinking about my child's health so maybe I should start sending peanut butter sandwiches as they're my child's favourite but no I wouldn't cause I wouldn't want to be the reason a child winds up in hospital.... Anyone try and tell me that's completely different well I'm sorry no it's not it's exactly the same for us because my child winds up needing hospitalization and can have a severe reaction.

People need to stop and think about others for a change.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (28-04-2014),CMF  (28-04-2014),mel04  (28-04-2014),sezzle  (28-04-2014),~BEXTER~  (30-04-2014),~Marigold~  (28-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post

This.
    I used to work in childcare and just couldn't understand why there were so many sick kids running around. Yes, kids are resilient and will often still want to remain active etc whilst ill, but that's not an indication that they are fit and able to attend. They are spreading it to one another and the cycle never ends.
    I understand a slight sniffle (clear mucous) etc is an exception, but I witnessed much worse and they were still attending. I myself contracted everything and was sicker than I'd been in years after being there and took 2 weeks off to recover in my first few months.
    I had DD enrolled a couple of weeks ago and after 2 sessions she had an acute tummy virus which saw her vomiting for more than 7 days straight. Someone must have sent their sick child along for her to catch that. She attended 2 more sessions after she recovered and came away with a cold, she had that clear snot thing happening that all the kids seem to have and I get building her immunity etc, but only to a certain extent.
    Keep your children home if they're sick.
    For the record, I've pulled her out of care as I'm no longer working but had I been required to work today I would have sent her with her current runny nose as it's clear and she is otherwise fine. I needed to take time off work when she had the tummy virus, I would never have sent her with that, even though she was generally fine during the days, the vomiting was only occurring at night.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 28-04-2014 at 08:28.