+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can't take it anymore - DD never sleeps!

I have a 12 month old DD at home and she is a terrible sleeper. She has almost never slept through the night. A "good" night will involve her getting up two - three times. A "bad" night will involve her waking up to every 45 minutes, and taking up to 2-3 hours to settle. She wants to get up for the day at 5 am.

We do not feed overnight. We have started trying responsive settling - sitting next to her but not doing anything to settle her unless she gets distressed. Then we reassure her but otherwise we let her try to get herself to sleep. We have been doing it 10 days. We have had some minor improvement in overnight waking, but now it is taking up to 3 hours to get her to go to sleep at night.

She is a terrible napper too. She will only nap for 20-30 minutes. Sometimes she will have 2 naps a day, but now she often only has one.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to address this it would be so appreciated. I am so completely exhausted ALL THE TIME and I feel like I am going completely crazy from lack of sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We resorted to co sleeping and now everybody gets a good night. We have co slept on and off from 6 months

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-04-2014),LoCo  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and day naps were a nap on one of us. This could go for 2 hours so I would get sleep then also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't experienced anything quite as bad as that but we had sleep problems with my DD at 4 months, which was partially related to her reflux but also me not knowing how to settle her. We went to a sleep school and it was the best thing I did, for her and me. Where are you located? Do you have access to any sleep schools or could you look at hiring a sleep consultant? Friends of mine have had success with in home consultants too.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a big advocate for bed sharing. When my kids muck up overnight I shove them in bed with me then pass out. They eventually sleep from sheer boredom.

What is she eating? My eldest is super sensitive to sugars and processed foods. A small packet of tiny teddies can keep her awake for hours.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep 2 of my babies refused to sleep unless sleeping in bed with me. So thats what i did until they got too uncomfy and wanted their own bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 2yo DD is the same. I still give her a bottle overnight if it means she will go back to sleep quick because I can't be up all night and then dragging myself into work. Our days also start at 5am, but I'm used to it now and just try to go to bed early. Every night she starts off in her cot, but halfway through the night ends up in my bed. I just go with whatever option will give all of us the most sleep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go to one day nap. See if that helps. I think sleep school would be a good idea too. Maybe carb load her during the day? See if that helps her sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs....DD is 3 1/2 and is the same.

DH and I are hanging on by the narrowest thread to our sanity.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and one of my symptoms is cfs...atm i feel like death.

I work prt time and also have a 9 year old.

Some days i would sell my soul for sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is the same.
    I too am at my wits end.
    I'm booked into karitane next week.
    I'm hoping it teaches me how to sort her out as I don't really want her in bed with me as I get a terrible sleep then too.
    Maybe karitane or Tresillian residential stay is something that you might be interested in.