+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have left dd1 and 2 who would have been 4 and 2 at the time alone for a few minutes while I ducked to the corner shop literally next door... mind you I could still hear them clear as day and was never more than a minute or 2.

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Hahahahahahaha. Total genius
    Don't forget to nominate...funniest old kitty!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @goldtoe I'm French and it's def not cultural to leave a 6yo (let alone younger kid) alone at home.
    Actually a French friend of mine just fired her au pair cause she left the 4yo daughter alone at home for 20 min.

We'd start at "the age of reason" which is 7yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Whatever do you mean? My children were home alone making cheesecake at two, but I realise all two year olds are different.
    Can you come and impart your wisdom on my 15mth old? Maybe she could be cooking dinner by 2, she is very smart and with a step ladder could easily reach the stove.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I left 6yo DS1 once. He was sick, on the couch watching TV. It was cold and rainy and I had to take DD to school. We live in an awesomely quiet, small town. I was gone no longer than 7 minutes. I took the 4 and 2 year olds with me.

I got back and he hadn't moved. I gave him the choice and he's been tje only case of it happening. Would I do it again? I don't know, in the same circumstances, probably. But no younger than 6yo and NOT on a regular basis or for any longer periods.

But I do also let DD 7 and DS1 6 catch the bus home from school and go to the park alone. But I can see them from the house

Maybe I'm just too "freerange"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ex-dh let ds (then aged 4) home alone whilst he went out to get himself a coffee. He also thinks its ok to leave an 11 yo to babysit 2 boys aged 3 & 5 till at least midnight

I wouldn't leave ds or dd home alone till they are mentally/emotionally old enough- say 10-12 years. I was catching buses and walking 3kms home alone from school at the age of 5 and was allowed to walk to the shops on my own at 7 yo but I feel it was a different time then. In saying that I have let my ds ride his bike to post a letter at the end of the street (a fair distance but I can still see him).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've left my 2 kids alone in the house for up to 20 minutes before. I don't know how old they were but the oldest is turning 4 this week.
    They were both asleep and if I didn't go and help hubby tow a tractor then our crops wouldn't have got sown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 is about to turn ten, and we leave her home watching tv/ playing while we work in the paddocks for up to an hour at a time. Situation is a bit different though, as she could yell out, walk up to us if she needs to (no mobile phones though as we live out of mobile range).

Otherwise, if anything here was only a ten minute drive away, I would have no issue leaving her home for 10-20 mins.

She also walks to the bus stop on her own (150m away, on a bush track, no roads to cross), and has done so since she was 6.

DD2 (2.5) is always closely supervised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    He also thinks its ok to leave an 11 yo to babysit 2 boys aged 3 & 5
    Age is just one factor. I know one 11yo girl who more than mature enough, and some adults I wouldn't trust to baby-sit. A lot of 11-year-olds have been so sheltered their whole lives, they'd have no idea how to cope if something went wrong. Others have had a little freedom and become resourceful and confident.
    Last edited by goldtoe; 29-04-2014 at 09:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I let my 9 year old stay home when I go shopping or the likes. He has a mobile and facebook messenger on his ipad.
    He knows not to answer the door or cook anything.
    I haven't had any problems, generally he is sitting in the exact same spot, doing the exact same thing once we get back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app