+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default "Spin off " at what age did you leave your child home alone?

Was just reading the other thread and my DS is only 3 so have not had to think about it yet but at what age will you or do you let your kids stay home alone or go places on their own like shops and parks and movies? I always thought year 6 or 7 (11-12 years?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 12 year old stays here alone pretty often. If I need to do shopping, he will sometimes stay here with a friend and watch movies until I get back. The other parents are always told if I have to duck out at any time and i offer to drop their child home if they're not comfortable with it..

It would be another few years until I let him babysit the younger ones though..

He has ridden his bike to a mates place for around a year and a half now, he's a sensible kid, just hope that he's always safe, will never not worry about him with the stuff that happens these days..
    Last edited by oozzle; 27-04-2014 at 18:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just read the thread title and remembered my mother leaving myself and a friend alone at home to grab a few things from the grocery store when we were 8...whilst also looking after my NB baby brother! I heavily doubt I would ever do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 11 and I've left her home once while my DS was asleep . She was engrossed in a movie and I was only going to fifteen mins. I called her ( used handsfree blue tooth of course) the whole way there and then again on my way back. I'm thinking later this year or early next year when she's 12 that we can try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Dd1 was 14 - had no need to.
    Ds1 was 12 - the need arose that I needed to.

You couldn't find a more independent child than dd. She moved across the country a few days after she turned 18 to go to uni. To a town she didn't know and loves it there. She would have moved overseas this year but she got sick and no can't go and until she is well enough.

Edited to add I don't let sibling babysit. It's not thier job. I hire a babysitter.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (29-04-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds#1 who is 9.5yrs old sometimes gets home 5 minutes before i am able to get back home. He unlocks the door goes inside locks the door and goes on his ipad until i get there.

Its happened 5 times this year and usually i pull up just as he has shut the door behind himself.

If i was going to be any later than 10-15 mins(traffic) i would call a relative to pick him up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't yet. My children are nearly 7 and nearly 10. I would think when my older DD is 12. That said I wouldn't leave her alone with her sister, which means she will be older than 12 I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For a quick ten min, ds was aged 10 .

For longer 12 . And only during the day. He has a mobile. He bikes to school now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest is only 5 so I haven't thought about it too much yet. I was left at home alone from about 7 or 8 while Mum would duck to the shops. I never thought anything of it. But I don't think I can imagine doing the same now?

I'm thinking maybe 10? We're a 2 min drive from the shop so I imagine we'd start with that. As long as she could confidently use the phone, know not to answer the door/phone etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post

Edited to add I don't let sibling babysit. It's not thier job. I hire a babysitter.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Wow I wish you were my mum. I was basically treated as a live in babysitter from the age of 11 and taxi driver from 18. :-/