+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tinkbug - That's actually more than recommended. Most candlemaking sites recommend a fragrance load of between 6-10%, meaning 7.8ml to 13ml for 130g of wax. Have you tried using a bit less fragrance? Too much can make the candle flicker and smoke, and can also mean that the fragrance sinks to the bottom of the container. Also check your wick size - if the wick is too big or too small for the container, it can have a big impact on the throw of the scent.

Jmeleem - have you tried using container maker?

http://www.candlemaking.com.au/Conta...or-Natural-Wax

It's designed to help the soy adhere to the side of containers and leave you with a nice smooth finish.

The fluffy finish could be caused by a number of things:
    • The temperature of the wax. If you pour the wax too early (too hot) it causes the wax to set unevenly. I use a little kitchen thermometer and pour mine at about 60 degrees, which usually gives a good finish on top.
    • Cooling too quickly. I've known people to put their candles in the fridge or in front of a fan to accelerate cooling, which can also cause uneven finishes. Keep them at room temperature and out of the sun.
    • Ratios of ingredients. Sometimes too much fragrance or container maker can cause a funny finish. I also find that certain types of fragrance can affect the finish - I've got no idea why, I just avoid those ones in the future.
    Hope that helps!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belle201 For This Useful Post:

hapuhope  (11-11-2014),MummaCat  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow you sound like a pro @Belle201 i would love it if you stuck around this thread

I thought if i increased the fragrance it would make it stronger but i must be using too much and pouring too hot. I will have a go and let you know the outcome

Do you just make them for yourself @Belle201

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about being a pro - I've just learnt a lot through trial and error! I still get it wrong sometimes, that's just the way it goes I just burn my failed candles for my own pleasure, remove the leftover wax and start over.

I sell my teacup candles and other assorted vintage china crafts on Etsy. I also do workshops at my local library.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thats amazing @belle202

How do you find Etsy? Do you sell many candles? I would love to check out your shop, do you mind if i have a squizz?
    Last edited by MrsMummaButterfly; 11-11-2014 at 12:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually find Etsy quite good. It's easy to use and the fees are reasonable. However, you need to be able to dedicate a significant amount of time to it if you want to make any money. You need to research strategies to gain visibility and get the sales coming in. Things like titles, tags and high quality photos make a huge amount of difference but are time consuming to get right. I didn't do any work on the shop for about 3 months (thank you morning sickness) and hardly sold a thing compared to when I can do a bit of work each day.

Because my craft is a sideline to my regular day job, I can't put as much time into it as I'd like. When I'm home on maternity leave in a month or two, I'm hoping I can use some of my time to improve my shop

I'd love to show you my shop - but can I do that within the rules of the forum? I'm a newbie and I don't want to lose any friends on my first day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats makes total sense @Belle201 i have private messaged you about your shop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There really is something so relaxing and beautiful about a burning candle

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1415701879.498319.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (12-11-2014)