+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to know what is a good movement pattern for my baby

My ob just said I have to monitor movement & that if I feel nothing for 24hrs to go in & get checked. He doesnt seem to be into kick counts.

But on the hospital website it says 'reduced movement' should be checked (ie different to ob who said 'no movement').

Some days my baby will be super active & then some days it will be really quiet. We've already been up the hospital once on monitoring because of this (baby was totally fine) but it keeps doing it & I dont want to have to go up the hospital once or twice every week for the rest of the pregnancy if its normal for my baby to be doing this.

The hospital wont tell us whats normal cause its aparantly 'different for every baby'. They just say I should feel 'some' movement each day. Im just a bit confused about what 'some' movement means & how to know what 'reduced foetal movement' is when the baby often has really quiet days.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been told 10 movements in 2 hours, and if at all i am worried to pop in and get checked out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I think whatever feels abnormal to you should be checked out. It's not worth the risk. You will get to know your bubs patternsl.
    My bub has 2-3 really active days and then a day or 2 when he is a quieter. These quiet days were very concerning to me at first but I have gotten to know his pattern. As long as I get some movement in those days I am happy. My bub is usually quiet of a morning then goes crazy in the evenings.
    You can also work out what you bub responds to. My bub moves alot when I am in the shower but hardly moves at all when I'm in the car.
    I would not wait 24hrs with no movement before getting checked out that's for sure! Like the pp I have also been told 10 movements in 2hrs is a good sign.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppyLoppy For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (26-06-2014),ScubaGal  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I definitely would not wait 24hrs with no movement thats for sure.

So with the 10 kicks in 2hrs, as long as the baby does that at least once a day is that ok? So even if its kicking up a storm one day, but the next it is really quiet (but still gets the 10 kicks in 2 hrs), thats not reduced foetal movement??

Im just having trouble figuring out what is normal for my baby & its exacerbating my anxiety disorder. Now any time my baby is a little quiet I freak out.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds was very active. DD was a slug- moved rarely and when she did it was minimal. I found laying down like a polar bear got both of them moving and some people say drinking cold water helps too. Hard not to worry though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first I could hardly feel due to placenta placement so I just was told to watch for movement at night and in the morning, this one is like something from the movie alien, but as pp said has 2 active days then a quiet day or 2 that initially worried me, I find sitting down quietly with a warm drink normally gets a little wiggle if I'm worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you're concerned, grab a cold sweet drink (orange juice/lemonade etc), sit in a quiet place for an hour or so and you should feel movement. The 10 movements in 2 hours isn't just kicks, it's any movement from baby - kicks, rolls, pushes. If at any point you are worried, go up to the hospital to get checked out. Definitely worth getting checked out, even if it's just to reduce your anxiety

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I hear you OP I'm 36 weeks and wondering the same thing. I know their moments can be reduced when they are running out of space but I feel like I haven't really grown in the last week at all and may even be a touch smaller. I'm
    still feeling movements though so I'm not too worried. If you are though, definitely call or go in it will be worth it to know either way and it's the midwives job to check, don't ever feel silly for being uncertain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got the same pattern of variable movement. I find doing the kick counts really helps. On the less active days, I get the 10 in around 15 mins, other days it can be 4-6.

What I like about the kick counts is that it makes you sit down and pay attention. Often when I think bubs isn't moving, I find there's actually a lot more than I thought. You don't tend to notice the smaller movements when you're busy and focussed on other things.

I think the other use of kick counts is that you know how long it takes to get those 10 kicks. If it normally takes 20 mins and starts being over an hour, that could be a concern. I was reading on a site (I think it was countthekicks.org) that there is a gradual reduction in movement in the days leading up to a problem. Counting gives you an early sign of distress.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi all, I can probably read the right answer but guess I'm hoping for some reassurance right now too!
    I'm 29w and I'm not noticing bubs movements very often during the day.
    I'm getting some definite movement every day but it's 1-3 firm movements. I can occasionally feel something that 'might' be movement but it's much more subtle, like the flutters earlier on in pregnancy.
    At around 25w bub was really active, I felt quite a lot of movement fairly constantly and firm - it was also at that time that DP felt bub move for the first and only time.
    I don't want to stress, I've stressed since the beginning. Had just started to relax. But not due to see the Ob for another 2 weeks. When I saw him 2 weeks ago he kind of just brushed it off and said 'as long as you're feeling something'.
    Wonder if I should bring appointment forward (although he doesn't have a Doppler or have US facilities so would have to go to the hospital for a scan anyway) or call birthing suite tomorrow and speak to someone there.
    Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.