+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have access to the study ladder website? Our kids do as their teachers set tasks & homework on there. This week they have a whole lot of sample naplan papers ( & answers) that you can print. My DD ( yr5) has done some practice these holidays.
    I do believe it's a lot of stress and I want my DD to feel no pressure, but be prepared. At the end of the day it's a tool for the school to use to see how effective their teaching is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I always battle with the expectation of spending the first term teaching to the test, when I would rather teach the new content for the year and provide students with the opportunity for real life, deep, meaningful learning experiences. The way I look at it, spending over a term revising the whole previous year's work is actually poor teaching and planning, because there is no way to meet the other curriculum needs (ie new learning) in the remaining time. I would never send my child to such a data-driven school that spent weeks and weeks preparing for NAPLAN, nor one that exempted students that will ruin the average.

As a primary school teacher I am absolutely philosophically opposed to the NAPLAN, especially for Year 3 students. It is one test, on one day. Even the maths test is a reading test, and there is nothing to allow a child to show creativity of thought, general knowledge, original strategies, problem solving skills. It is written for children with a very specific brain - I had a gifted child on the spectrum, and he managed to misinterpret every single question one year, just because of the way his brain worked and the poor wording of the questions. Apart from at high school and some university courses, the ability to do well at multiple choice exams isn't a real world application of the learning that we do.

If you want to know how your daughter is really doing at school, ask her teacher. Look at her schoolwork. Ask questions about her new learning and her development. Find out what gaps she has in understanding. Her teacher should be able to tell you all of these things, including how she will perform on the test, without waiting to find out from the NAPLAN.
    Totally agree with all of this.

I know as a system we need a measure but naplan privileges certain demographics and it's a broken metric, the fact that schools are "preparing" for naplan defeats the whole purpose. It was initially intended as a snapshot of how we were doing systemically not feedback for individual kids. It's so limited in what it "tests".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was so stressed about what they were doing at school for NAPLAN preparation she started to wet the bed again.

I was very tempted to pull her out as I don't think this amount of stress is healthy for anyone, let alone a developing brain.

But....we made our house NAPLAN free, we didn't talk about it unless she asked a question. She didn't do any of the NAPLAN homework. Within a week, she was back to her normal, happy self.

She sat the test (so much for the healthy breakfast the school wanted them to have, she ate nothing) and said "that wasn't that bad at all".

If they are doing NAPLAN prep at school, don't overdo it at home. If you are stressing about it your child will pick up on your feelings about the test. That will then stress the child out. Then a stressed, upset, worried child isn't going to perform to their ability anyway (e.g test anxiety).

You won't get the results until September in any case, so it won't tell you how they are going school work wise in September. It will tell you what they were doing 6 months (or so ago). If you want to know how your child is going ask your child's teacher now for a meeting to discuss.

I don't like how our school spends the first term and second term practising for NAPLAN. Learning words especially for persuasive writing. I also do not agree with teaching for the sole purpose of NAPLAN testing.

The best thing that has come out of this is that my older DD is now comforting her younger sister who is worrying about NAPLAN for next year!

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am looking at private high schools for dd and ds( twins in year one at the moment). All the paper work that I look at for enrolment for grade seven requires that grade 3 naplan results are required.. When Naplan was introduced it was only to be used as an indicator of the teachers performance at a particular school. Now sadly this is not the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    I am looking at private high schools for dd and ds( twins in year one at the moment). All the paper work that I look at for enrolment for grade seven requires that grade 3 naplan results are required.. When Naplan was introduced it was only to be used as an indicator of the teachers performance at a particular school. Now sadly this is not the case.
    I was going to post the same thing. We couldn't submit applications for private high schools until we had received our Naplan results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    This is what is so hard and frustrating about being a teacher and NAPLAN itself - OP is complaining that the school hasn't done enough to prepare kids, you're complaining they do too much. Can't win.

Guess what - most schools and teachers would rather not have NAPLAN. It's government mandated however. And if a child or school's results aren't 'up to scratch', parents will complain. Data from testing gets used on things like the MySchool website and parents make decisions about the worth of a school based on this.

I personally try to ensure that my students are familiar with the style and format of the questions, and give them general 'test-taking' strategies to use for unfamiliar questions. This takes maybe a few hours. Some schools drill their kids for hours a day for the preceding terms which I think is horrid.

I tell my students that the NAPLAN test isn't testing them really, it's testing the school. I tell parents that their child's results are an indication of their child's ability to do *that particular test* on *that particular day*. It's not a reflection of a child's innate value or intelligence.

Oh, and it's not up to the Year 3 teacher to have taught everything a child needs to know for the test - it's supposed to be an indication of their learning thus far, not just in the few months they've been in Year 3 prior to the test.
    I couldn't agree more

I teach year three and I got slammed from two different parents last week, one for not preparing them enough and one for scaring them by talking too much. I have a very low class and I'm copping flack from parents for not having them ready to pass.... I'm trying to explain to them that I have taught your child for 11 weeks :-/

I'll be happy when it's all over :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks yes we do, do a combo of study ladder, the NAPLAN books from the shop and this week scootle and the practise tests from the school..
    Yes, the high school that I'm thinking of sending my daughter to has also requested her naplan results... So is it fair of the high schools to ask for these then ?? Is that part of the pressure for some parents ...High school as this is also a concern for me

Ok So from the sounds of different teachers and parents I should concentrate on her end of year report card.. Not this naplan which shouldn't really compare her across the nation as it NOT an " cram all in 11 wks" and from her past 4 teachers and her new current teacher for this term, it is not truly justified..
    Again thank you for all your input

Thanks
    Reviews
    The private high schools we have investigated require the year 5 school report and year 5 naplan results. I'm not sure if it's a good thing however that DD is aware of this as she came with us to the information sessions.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Rreg View Post
    thanks yes we do, do a combo of study ladder, the NAPLAN books from the shop and this week scootle and the practise tests from the school..
    Yes, the high school that I'm thinking of sending my daughter to has also requested her naplan results... So is it fair of the high schools to ask for these then ?? Is that part of the pressure for some parents ...High school as this is also a concern for me

Ok So from the sounds of different teachers and parents I should concentrate on her end of year report card.. Not this naplan which shouldn't really compare her across the nation as it NOT an " cram all in 11 wks" and from her past 4 teachers and her new current teacher for this term, it is not truly justified..
    Again thank you for all your input
    I would be questioning why a high school would be wanting to see NAPLAN results?

If you want to take anything at all from NAPLAN (and I wouldn't recommend it), it can be a useful measure of growth over time. This might or might not be due to the calibre of teaching. There are just some times when you can teach and teach and teach a concept, and a kid simply isn't ready to conceptually understand it yet. Often kids will have a huge jump in their learning after losing teeth (it's actually quite interesting, although this is more at JP level). Sometimes environmental/family/emotional factors can hinder learning. A sleepless night, silly errors, misreading a question - these all factor into NAPLAN results.

When I go over the tests before submitting them, I can look at a student who has answered a question wrong and say 'but they know how to do that!', and find examples to prove this in their school books. That's what I would expect from my child's teacher - a sound knowledge of what they can and can't do, and they will know this without having to look at the NAPLAN!

I will refrain from climbing any further up the ladder to my exceptionally high horse over NAPLAN, because I despise it as an educator and as a parent. But I will say - please don't ever look at these results in isolation. Talk to your teachers. Read the reports. Ask them honestly if your child is working to standard. If the NAPLAN results come back to show your child is at risk, then yes, I'd be asking why I hadn't been informed of this, but anything else I'd take with a pinch of salt. And please don't let your child stress about it. It's such unnecessary pressure.

And as far as comparisons to other schools using the website, I know for a fact that there are schools that cheat and fudge their results. I have even worked at one of these schools - they gave their students an entire day to sit a 40 minute test and then publicized their exceptional results.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-04-2014),PomPoms  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my daughter is aware of all things needed to get into the high school we would like.. Tonight she asked me " when's it next month" I said Friday.. oh then it's Naplan soon, with a smile on her face..
    Oh and she's excited as the teacher is providing lollipops for the kids during their 3 days of exams ..
    Last edited by 3Rreg; 27-04-2014 at 20:32. Reason: more info