+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Naplan ... Grade 3 .. experiences

Please be kind.. Im kinda starting to stress about Naplan.. That is for my dd in grade 3.. Im worried that they havn't prepared her enough eg.. teaching them from the beginning of the year. She has a new teacher for this term, last term teacher had to take personal leave.. But since she now has a new teacher the homework is a lot more intense and with practise naplan exams..I thought my daughter spelling was good but since doing these "practise tests" im not sure. Naplan is in a few weeks time and she still doesn't remember her nouns and verbs We have started teaching her about fractions as the teachers have not yet !! They are just learning their multiplications now I expected this full on homework and naplan tests from the start of the year not 3 weeks out from naplan!!!!!

Has anyone else been there done that and their child done OK.. Im NOT letting on to daughter that Im stressing out. Like I said before I guess Im more annoyed at the school for not teaching my daughter these things well in advance..
    Any advice for me or for me to pass onto my daughter ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have a DD in year 3 at the moment. Why are you stressed? It's only one test and doesn't impact on her assessments. I wouldn't have a clue how well my DD is prepared for NAPLAN and I don't intend on finding out. She hasn't really learned fractions either and I doubt knows the difference bt a noun and a verb.

If your child isn't stressed why are you? Is the school putting pressure on the parents?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-04-2014),CMF  (27-04-2014),PomPoms  (27-04-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think a school should be teaching to one test. They should be covering what's in the curriculum and that's it.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-04-2014),BettyW  (27-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (26-04-2014),Oblena  (27-04-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (27-04-2014),Sonja  (26-04-2014),Tamtam  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no reason to stress about naplan, prepare for it or give it another thought. It is system data. It's inconsequential to your child's learning. Please stop stressing, there really is no need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All the school should do is let them see the test format so that they don't get stressed by it...that is easily done in class and i certainly don't see any need for homework on it!!

The test is there to see what they know...not what the school can cram into them in the weeks leading up to the test. It is not supposed to be anything other than a measuring stick to see where the school is up to...esp Year 3!

Relax...and just let her have fun with it. Why are you so worried about it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I just asked my daughter if she was stressed about NAPLAN and she said "what's that".

I'm glad BRV responded. That's exactly how it should be.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (26-04-2014),PomPoms  (27-04-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah at my school they send home / teach them practice tests for only a week or two beforehand (will probably get some next week when we go back to school)

its just to teach them the format/how to answer the questions etc. Its not a 'test' for the kids ....

Over the christmas school holidays I bought one of those Naplan books - but only because DD really liked the questions. She did about 1/4 of it (the maths style questions) and then got bored It has sat in the cupboard since then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for allll your responses. . I will come back and pay later today. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely don't stress about Naplan or let her stress. Honestly, Naplan and the way schools go about preparing for it (I.e putting fear into PREP kids about it), has a lot to answer for. Schools should be teaching against the curriculum, not Naplan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids aren't in school yet. However my sister who has a dd in school was saying they use the results to grade the kids in particular classes. Is this not true?