+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Why are you even debating this? You haven't seen your cousin in 20 years! It's a no-brainer go with Anya Rose! Lovely name btw

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (27-04-2014),NewMrs  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Without wanting to offend, Rose is a super common mmiddle name now. It flows with everything. So I would only be worried about similar first names. Aya and Anya look similar but are pronounced very differently.
    I would go for it Anya Rose is lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My cousin had her DD about 8 weeks after I had mine. They chose a very similar name that started with the same letter and rhymed. As the other party I honestly didn't care. I know what a major decision it was for me and DH to decide and agree on our DDs name, I assume they put equal effort into deciding their DDs name and I would've hated to be in that position where I had to consider choosing a different name.

Like you, I hardly see my cousin and besides a couple of family functions we haven't even seen each other since having our babies so it really hasn't been a big deal at all. I say go with the name you love, it has significance for you and you'll regret it if you don't use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I see no issue at all, even if you did see your cousin regularly Anya and Aya are very different names. As for Rose, it's your Mums name and a very common middle name, so no issue there either.

My Mum and her brother both have daughters with the same name (3 yrs apart in age), it's never been an issue and we are all close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you're not close with your cousin then I see no problem using it. I would however send her a message before hand to let her know the name that you're choosing as a courtesy so she doesn't hear it through the grape vine and be offended if she doesn't know the history of your choice.

If a friend just came out and had called their kid the same as mine i'd think it was a bit weird but if they told me before hand that they've always loved the name and wanted to give me a heads up that they're going to use it (or a variant) and the reasons why then i'd be totally ok with it.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was pregnant at the same time as my SIL and we had DD's name picked out soon after finding out her sex. My SIL was 3 months behind me. One day I was talking to my brother and they mentioned the name we'd picked (we hadn't revealed it at that stage) and said they were considering it for a boy (it's a unisex name). So we were forced to tell the family the name we'd chosen and my brother was disappointed and even thought I'd stolen it for a while there, but I assured him we'd had it picked out, set in stone, way before he'd mentioned wanting to use it.

As for your situation, I'd stick with the name you love. It's not the same as your cousin's and as you're not close it should be a non issue.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 27-04-2014 at 15:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On one side of my family, we have three boys with the same first name and two girls with the same first name (neither of which is a traditional family name)! No-one's bothered by it. I guess it just proves that siblings can have very similar tastes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin had her daughter two months before my DD was born. We had chosen a name for my DD at 20 weeks (as soon as we knew we were having a girl). We had told all our friends and some of our family. However I don't think she knew what our name was going to be.

When my cousin's daughter was born they gave her a name that was very, very similar to the name we chose. Not exactly the same, but close enough. I didn't even hesitate to stick with our original choice. It was the only name we both agreed on and I knew I would be so sad if we couldn't use it.

I have never ever regretted it. My Mum was the only one who said anything (she is just like that though). No one else has ever mentioned it. Not that I would care if they did. I still love her name so much (it really suits her) and could not be happier with my decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd send your cousin a card (or FB message if relevant) congratulating her on the birth and put a little "PS - Love the name, just between us, we've picked a name that sounds very similar".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies, I feel so much better about it all now we have decided to stick with it, I just can't imagine using another one or loving any other name as much!

Appreciate all the compliments on the name too thanks for being an amazing supportive group!