+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Similar name on the family

Hi all,

So I'm 30 weeks and expecting a girl, and my cousin who was 8 weeks ahead of me and also expecting a girl had her baby this week. She is a gorgeous little bub and they have decided to name her A.ya Rose.

My issue is that dh and I had picked and settled on a similar name really early - A.nya Rose. I actually have wanted to name my daughter A.nya for about ten years and it so happens he loves it too, and Rose is both our mum's names! I was so excited he loved my name right off! We have other names we sort of like, but this name has always been a very clear front runner.

I'm not at all close with my cousin and haven't seen her in about 20 years, but do see and talk to her dad (my uncle) fairly regularly (every month or two) and have other family who are also close with all of them obviously.

I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way OR have people think we copied the name. Dh says we will regret it if we don't go with our first choice and I think I agree but I'm just so torn! I'm so disappointed that we might be seen as unoriginal now too

Any thoughts? Is it poor form to go with our first choice now? Or will we regret it? Am I being silly/overthinking it?
    Last edited by Tattereds; 29-05-2014 at 22:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Go with the name you LOVE!! I agree with your DH. Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (27-04-2014),PrincessPud  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with Anya Rose. It's a lovely name.

If you've loved it for so long, you'll regret not using it.

Who cares if it's similar to the other name, if anyone mentions it, just tell them how long you've had your DD's name picked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww I would be so disappointed if this happened to me. it would be hard to let go because you've already decided and probably picture your belly bub that name. Could you add another middle name in there to shake it up a little. If it were me I would stick with the Rose (even maybe as a first name?) but change Anya. Sorry that happened

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with PP's! Beautiful name- stick with it! No one will care and if they do then they are being silly!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    id go with it too, you aren't close and Anya and Ava aren't the same, to me the only thing they have in common is the A's, its not like they rhyme!
    So if I were you, id be using It still!! =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and Anya and Aya are quite different really...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stick with the name you love and the middle name that it significant to both your families.

We had DS's name chosen as DD's 'in case they got the scan wrong' name and still loved it 5 years later when UTD. In the meantime friends who we see sometimes (but are close to people we see more often) used it for their son. We didn't let it stop us and love his name all the more now we can see how it suits him!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely stick with it, it's a lovely name

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby about three weeks before my cousin in laws sister had hers. I happened to name my girl the same name she had chosen for hers and I have heard she went through the same dilemma. Se eventually went with her original choice, essentially because, while we know each other and she each other occasionally, her heart was set on the name and she would have been disappointed as you will be. As the 'other' party I don't care at all. I definitely don't think my name was stolen etc, and my cousin law has no issue with her kids having cousins with the same name. Go for your original name .