+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default lost!

Hi
    I have a mr just turned 3 who is becoming a really angry lil guy who is lashing out at his sister and myself more and more at the moment, hitting, pulling hair and occassionally biting hard enough to draw blood. In the last year we left our home due to domestic violence. It was a really upsetting time for us all and mr 3 was really upset by it (obviously) and i have worked really hard to establish a safe home and for us to feel safe, we have solid routines and some things have gotten better in the last few months. Things like he is sleeping well in his own bed again through the night, he toilet trained himself 4 weeks ago and is completely dry overnight too. He has had less issues at childcare with behaviour but at home he is just so ready to be angry and frustrated, im at a bit of a loss of what to do. I use 'time-in' as discipline which was suggested to me by a psychologist we saw when we first left, because he can't be left alone. but he just doesnt seem to care about that anymore and has lost its effect. He doesnt have a huge attachment to any toys except one teddy and his pillow pet and blanky but taking those away is extremely distressing (i took away pillow pet for one night and it took 4 hours to settle him for bed).
    has anyone been through anything similar? any ideas how to discipline? (i don't/won't smack). thanks in advance for any ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. I have a ds that is similar. Have you tried 123 magic? Some people swear by it and it worked for my ds around that age. It did lose it's effect after a while for us as he doesn't care about the consequences we give him. Time out doesn't phase him, if we take something away from him he will just go find something else etc. so frustrating. He is 4.5 now and has calmed down slightly with age but is still angry and difficult. Today he is being difficult, He has spent most of the day in time out and he still just won't stop. As soon as I let him down he goes and does something silly like yell or chase his little brother after I've told him a thousand times not to. I've tried to get him outside, doesn't want to, set up activities, doesn't want to. Need to wait till ds2 wakes from his nap to take them both out but with ds1 in this mood I don't think I'll be out long before he is naughty and I bring him home. Aaaagh!

I'm also looking into a failsafe diet to see if some foods, additives or preservatives react with him and make him lash out. Haven't started the diet yet as it is very full on but some things I've read sound promising and like it would suit him to a tee.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

sallyann84  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing also I have a DD like this.

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 2LM
    Thanks for your reply. Diet is a great idea to look at. I know that my lil guy gets worse after chocolate for sure! Have finally finished the easter bunny's treats!
    I have heard of 123 magic before, so i must look that up! thanks. It does make me feel a little better to know other mums/kids are going through same behaviour challenges!