+ Reply to Thread
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Iron supplement for toddler

Can anyone recommend an iron supplement for my almost 2 year old?
    She is an OK eater but I really worry about her iron intake, especially at the moment as she has suddenly increased her milk consumption (we were down to one 150ml bottle at bed time) due to a number of reasons (she was sick and went off food, only wanted milk, this coincided with her starting daycare where they gave her several bottles while she was there to placate her, despite my informing them she may only want a small one for comfort at nap time). So anyway she's having about 500 ml a day now. Is this too much?
    So is there a toddler/iron supplement I can give her?
    And any tips/food ideas to increase her consumption? She isn't really a big meat eater ( she enjoys beef mince in spaghetti which I add spinach to as well, plus grated veg) but she is more of a grazer type eater, she likes little platters with chopped fruit, ham, veg etc. But she still eats like a little sparrow, she doesn't tend to hoe into her meals with gusto, just a nibbler!
    Thanks.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 26-04-2014 at 09:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We were recommended to use Incremin for our toddler, it's been around forever, and is touted as boosting appetites. We found the Cherry flavoured one as the most palatable one and it seemed to work as a few weeks into using it, gone were the dark circles and the iron was elevated.

Marigold, if she is getting over recent sickness, she may be upping her milk intake as that is her source of 'comfort' food so to speak, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, she may be feeling sickly and only want her milk.

It sounds like you're already doing a great job with hiding the meat and spinach etc, so it sounds like (eliminating an underlying medical cause) that she may just be a little sparrow eater, who isn't into big meals, but rather grazing. I know it probably seems unsettling as you're wanting her to eat more substantially, but if she is reaching all her developmental milestones, is gaining weight, as opposed to losing it, is hydrated, then I would see if it's just how she is and work around that with hiding nutrients and giving her some supplements maybe.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 26-04-2014 at 09:17.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    We were recommended to use Incremin for our toddler, it's been around forever, and is touted as boosting appetites. W found the Cherry flavoured one s the most palatable one and it seemed to work as a few weeks into using it, gone were the dark circles and the iron was elevated.
    Thanks. I like the the fact that it has an appetite booster in it too, my mum keeps nagging me to get her onto something to increase her appetite, will see if I can buy some today.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app