+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I got myself and my DS2 (2 1/2) the vax this year because I am in chronic renal failure and on dialysis and he was a 31 weeker who has had further hospitalisations due to RSV.

My other two kids are 8.5 and 6 and I didn't have them vaxed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    We have 4 between us, they are 19 months, 9 years, 11 years and 12 years
    Do you know what age they can get it from? Would you vaccinate a child under 1? I asked our GP and he said it's better for them to build their own immunity. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This is from the World Health Organisation:

Who is at risk?
    Yearly influenza epidemics can seriously affect all populations, but the highest risk of complications occur among children younger than age 2 years, adults aged 65 years or older, pregnant women, and people of any age with certain medical conditions, such as chronic heart, lung, kidney, liver, blood or metabolic diseases (such as diabetes), or weakened immune systems.
    Yep, that's essentially what I was getting at. We all do not fall into any of those categories so personally I don't feel it's worth the risk.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    Do you know what age they can get it from? Would you vaccinate a child under 1? I asked our GP and he said it's better for them to build their own immunity. Thoughts?
    They can be vaccinated from 6 months.
    Under one, would depend on the risk factors for me. So if they are in day care, out a lot in public etc as well as the likelihood of me or DH bringing it home etc. it's personal risk assessment, you know?
    You can't build immunity to flu. The only way to build immunity is to catch the virus, first off, which holds more risk than the vaccine. And secondly, the flu virus changes. So the flu you caught last year won't protect you from the strain that's around this year iykwim.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (25-04-2014),Starfish30  (27-04-2014),Tamtam  (25-04-2014),Wally90  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    Bubs can get it from 6 months.
    The rest is personal choice, I think and depends on many, varying factors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah ok. Not high risk, we go out a bit and people do pick her up etc but I'm pretty anal about asking about colds and the like.

Still have a month till she can get it so I will do some more research.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked our GP this very question as my 9mth old is about to start child care . He said that he would only recommend flu shot for a baby with existing medical risk factors such as lung issues etc. not for robust healthy babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just had myself, dh, miss 5 and miss 2 done with no adverse effects. We are all medically healthy normally. I did however choose not to have my just six month old done as he had his normal vaccinations the same day and am still undecided whether to get him done at all. I haven't spoken to gp about this tho.
    Last edited by 2Butterfly; 25-04-2014 at 22:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I want to get my asthmatic DD done. For my healthy boys, I'm still undecided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Otherwise healthy toddlers do occasionally die from flu, but its not such a big risk as measles, whooping cough etc. I would definitely get them flu vax if they were in day care.
    By school age, the risk is much lower, but then so is the risk of side effects.