+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Explaining ANZAC day

DS (3) asked where nana and I were this morning and I said we went to the dawn service for ANZAC day and maybe next year you can come - he asked what is ANZAC day and I just said its a day when we remember the soldiers ( he's not really sure what a soldier is) - I didn't really want to elaborate or talk about war and death and why we went to war and how many people died as I'm sure it would scare him ! - at what age did you discuss this with your kids ? What year in school do they learn about ANZAC day these days?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I told my kids (3.5& nearly 2) that today we remember all those brave people that work far away from their families.

Dh is in the army and we are looking at a long 7mth deployment shortly so it's close to home for us.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At our school the first time ANZAC day came up was in Prep.

DD had a basic idea that it was for remembering the soldiers who had died for our country. As they go through each grade it is a bit more in depth. For example in year 1 DD learnt about Simpson and his donkey.

The preps participate in the ANZAC ceremony at school and each class makes a wreath, the school also marches in the local march.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 5 DS is starting to understand. I told him it's a day when we say thank you to people who fought for us. I tell him that we remember that war isn't nice and that we should try not to have wars by getting along and being nice to each other. I taught him that he needs to say thank you to them men in the uniforms and medals. We talked about how his grandfathers fought in the wars and got medals and that he could wear them at Anzac Day when he got bigger. He didn't ask more and I'll elaborate when he gets older. I may have gotten it all wrong but it's done now! Lol.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-04-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (25-04-2014)