+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fussy 10 month old

I'm just about at my whits end with my 10 month old baby! Come dinner time he won't eat vegetables. He puts them in his mouth and spits them out. If I cover them in puréed fruit he has no problems eating them. I've also tried veggies as finger food eg: sticks, cubes, veggie patties and slice still with no luck. Does anyone have any advise on what I can do? I just dread dinner time each night. He has no problems eating toast, meat, fish, omelets (yes I stack it with veggies and he scoffs it), pasta and other items. Do I just have a fussy baby? I'm open to suggestions.... Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its normal and gets worse LOL. Sorry to be a downer, my DS is driving me bonkers. He's 2.

Sounds like your bub has a pretty good diet. From memory at around your LO's age they need more proteins and fats anyways so sounds like they're doing pretty well IMO. DS was about the same at 10 months. Loved his eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried whole steamed veggies? I put a sliver of butter and a splash of olive oil on steamed broccoli and cauliflower , beans and corn ( most babies love gumming/ chewing on a corn cob!)

Eat them with him - put a big bowl on the table or on his tray and you eat one then give him one to eat - keep persisting and offering every meal as yes they can turn fussy so don't give up and make them become part of his nightly dinner

Pasta is easy to put veggies in - add smushed peas to it, put spinach or kale in omelettes , nuggets and sandwiches , falafels are a great finger food and start making him a antipasto plate with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, roasted capsicum and olives and offer him salads whenever you make them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lots of good ideas already given. I would just say keep offering. My ds around that age was super fussy esp with veggies. He is almost 3 now and improved so much though I do still have to encourage him to try new foods of which he will then usually eat. Dd on the other hand was a champion veggie eater around that age but now at 4.5 is eating less variety and getting more fussy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second corn on the cob my almost 10 month old loves munching on them.

I just keep offering all different types of veg at mealtime. Steaming is great for harder veg as it softens them just enough so they can chomp on it. We all have dinner together so DD sees us eating the same things.

Occasionally I'll make a chicken and veg or tuna and veg bake with béchamel sauce and that goes down a treat. Usually chicken or tuna with cauliflower, broccoli, corn, peas, diced carrot and some pasta mixed with the sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he eats them when you hide them I'd just go with that, keep offering but don't make a big deal about what he's not eating... make a big deal about what he is eating.
    I find DD eats vegetables better if they are snack format, on a plate there's options and sometimes the green stuff goes at the bottom of the list, frozen peas are great low mess, corn, capsicum sticks with dip are favs here.
    Try to not let it get to you, as frustrating as it is it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    A huge thank you for all the advice from everyone. I sure have some fresh ideas:-) will keep you all posted. Wish me luck lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of good ideas already. Only one I have is 7 mth old DD doesn't like peas, so I microwave frozen peas, smash them with a fork and mix with a bit of grated cheese. Then I kind of roll the pea-cheese mix into little balls and feed those to her. She loves it. Might help with other veg?