+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paying for your own room in a public hospital

As the title suggests, I have heard this is possible- can anyone please confirm? I am going through Westmead Hospital in Sydney, I will ask my midwife next time I see her as well, but just wondered if anyone could confirm this as true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't know about Westmead specifically - but single rooms in public hospitals are generally reserved for women who have lost a baby, have multiples, are very sick, had a rough birth, are infectious etc.

Women at our local public who go through a private obstetrician are a private patient in a public hospital and get a private room.

There might be an option where you can use private health insurance to fund your stay in hospital as opposed to medicare (i don't think it makes any difference to you, it just changes where the hospital gets it funding) and that could make you eligible for a private room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are using PHI then yes you could get a private room but it's not guaranteed as other mums may need it or if the ward is full then you will just get what they have. You can't just pay out of pocket (I could be wrong but it wouldn't make sense as this would cause disparity in the public system).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - what you have both said makes sense. I think the context in which I remember hearing this was that "if" there was the option on the day and there was capacity, it was a possibility- but certainly not guaranteed. And yes I do believe you are correct regarding the use of private health as the "payment".

Will clarify with the midwife in a couple of weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes the other ladies are correct. I'm birthing in a public hospital as a private patient & I'll be able to have a private room if there is one available. So even then it's not guaranteed if they are crowded or if there's someone who gets priority over me. So we will still have some out of pocket costs if we do get a private room but a lot of it will be covered by our PHI.