+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Evening Primrose oil

For those who have tried it, how long did it take to "kick in"?
    Is it like raspberry leaf tea/tablets which takes a few weeks to build up in your system or does it work straight away (if its going to work at all)?
    me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 24-04-2014 at 18:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyone?

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took 2x 1000mg per day from 38 weeks and was 3cm at a check on 39w5d. Also inserted some pierced capsules

Sorry edited as pressed enter and mixed up weeks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just realised I didn't even really answer your question. Sorry was feeding, I really don't know if it works straight away? I just thought eh why not ill give it a go. My placenta came away really easy and intact also so it could have helped with that too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took EPO (orally only) with my first bub, as well as the RLT, I also had acupuncture twice at the end of my pregnancy. I went into labour the day after my 2nd acupuncture appointment and i had a relatively quick and easy birth (6 hrs, no epidural) I dilated from 3cm to fully within an hour or two.

I will probably replicate all of that now with my 2nd

Oh and i forgot to say i had my baby 10 days before due date

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by WhitePeach; 24-04-2014 at 19:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhitePeach For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I dont really want a fast labour (my last was only 30 minutes from 1st contraction to birth lol).

Ive googled it (as much as I despise googling that sort of thing) and from what ive read it can work immediately for some or take a week for others. Thats if it works at all (as I know regardless what you try labour wont happen if your body isn't ready).... grabbed some from coles so will give it a go and see what happens. Also from what I read most ladies took 1-2 orally in the morning and inserted 1-2 pierced capsules at night.

Thanks ladies for responding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I take 2000mg orally and insert 2 at night, for the entire third tri. I don't believe it starts labour, just that (like RLT does the uterus) it assists the cervix to ripen once its time. I'm currently 36 weeks, will have an internal at 37 weeks to check for ripeness/dilation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    I take 2000mg orally and insert 2 at night, for the entire third tri. I don't believe it starts labour, just that (like RLT does the uterus) it assists the cervix to ripen once its time. I'm currently 36 weeks, will have an internal at 37 weeks to check for ripeness/dilation.
    This is what ive started doing since my original post I knew it doesnt bring on labour, but anything to help things move along im willing to try lol. If it doesnt work it doesnt work, no harm done. Do you ask for the internal? Ive never had them done unless there have been issues or I was already in labour. I wonder if my midwife will do one if I ask at my next appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took EPO only, 3 internally and 2 orally at night since 37 weeks and had to be induced 12 days over, so for me im afraid it did Jack! and it was my 3rd bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    This is what ive started doing since my original post I knew it doesnt bring on labour, but anything to help things move along im willing to try lol. If it doesnt work it doesnt work, no harm done. Do you ask for the internal? Ive never had them done unless there have been issues or I was already in labour. I wonder if my midwife will do one if I ask at my next appointment.

Last preg I didn't have an internal until my waters broke at 37 weeks - I was already 5cm dilated and had a 3 hour labour with 1 hour and 20 mins of that pushing (including a 'rest phase' between transition and pushing). So less than 2 hours to dilate 5cm. That was my first baby so I can't know for sure if it was just my body or if the EPO helped, but it is enough of a chance that I was willing to do it again this time!

This time around we were discussing my SPD/PGP at 33 weeks and she said if I haven't gone into labour by my 37 week appt she'd be happy to do an internal and discuss a membrane sweep. At my 35 week appt I wasn't feeling desperate, but now at 36 weeks the pelvic pain has upped to a whole new level and I know I will be requesting that internal (and the S&S if things are ripe!). I'm at the stage where I can only sleep propped upright on the lounge, after two panadiene forte, which is not ideal for baby at all. It's one of those risk vs risk situations.

There will be some that argue against your 'no harm done' as there is one small study indicating EPO contact in the birth canal can increase the likelihood of eczema. There is also the 'introducing germs' argument, however I think it's no different to DTD or having a fish around up there yourself.

When are you due?