+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Catnapping

I've enjoyed reading the current SOS thread and everyone's thoughts so thought I'd post separately to ask what everyone has done in regards to catnapping.

I am a nanny and a doula so I do have a lot of experience with babies and sleeping, helping establish routines, etc. But I'm finding regardless of whatever experience I have I am constantly doubting that what I am doing is right. I think the experience actually plays against me because I have a lot of expectations instilled in me, knowing that babies can be 'good sleepers.' But I'm solely breastfeeding, tired and suffer from anxiety so I just don't feel confident sometimes.

I do kind of think DS is a good sleeper for his age. We have a nice bedtime routine of bath, cuddles, feeds and he wakes about twice to be fed but always just straight back to sleep, never unsettled.

He has a good 2-3 hour morning nap but I cannot get him past that first 45 minute sleep cycle for his lunch and afternoon sleep unless I cuddle him in the rocking chair and let him be held for the second sleep cycle. That's the only way I can get him into a deep sleep again where he doesn't wake the moment I try to walk away.

This is also the case when he first goes down at night, he wakes after 45 minutes and usually has to be fed back to sleep, but then sleeps 5-6 hours after that.

I'm certain his inability to transition between sleep cycles has to do with gradually getting more tired as the day progresses since he is fine for the morning sleep when he is well rested.

I'm not keen to let him cry, it causes me more anxiety. I'm fine with grizzling, I can tell the difference.

So what have you done that works for catnapping?

I'd like at least one more sleep to be nice and long and ok with the other being short. I'm scared to mess with his morning sleep since I know it's the only one he sleeps well for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also... I do use the dummy for those afternoon sleeps but he doesn't need it overnight or in the morning. He will wake after 45 minutes regardless of whether he has fallen asleep with the dummy or not.

DH can occasionally get patting to work but it had never worked for me, even after an hour.

Has anyone ever tried the baby whisperers 'wake to sleep?'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 was a catnapper & slept for 30 minute stints only - I rolled with it & held him in my arms, or wore him in the carrier, for all of his naps for the first 6+ months of his life.

But now I'm struggling with DS2 whose also a catnapper - it's harder to roll with it when I have an active toddler I have to deal with too, so I'm keen to hear other people's suggestions on how they dealt with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is he?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having the same difficulty with my 11.5 week old. Sleeps well at night but daytime I cannot get past one sleep cycle meaning big crying in the evening due to being so overtired. Sorry I cannot help you but I am interested in what others have done

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Both my kids were catnappers.

I tried all the usual tricks to get him to sleep for another cycle with about a 10% success rate. The best trick we used was a fresh dummy straight from the fridge, he seemed to like them cold. What I resented most is when I tried to have a sleep when he slept, by the time he had had his nap, I was just getting sleepy. I would then have to wake up and tend to him. He slept for 40 minutes at a time but was a reasonable sleeper at night, after you could actually get him to sleep. We did go through a phase where he woudl wake during ht enight and nothing would get him back to sleep and DF would take him out for a drive. I had this image of a tired, angry man driving around the streets in his jarmies willing the toddler in the back to fall asleep.

DD was a nightmare sleeper and her day sleeps would usually last 15-20 minutes. Occasionally they would be longer but despite having patterns to her routine there was no predictability to her sleeping patterns. She wasn't tired either. It wasn't so much her catnapping that I found so hard it was the fact that she always had to be held and her perma feeding. She didn't do swings, play gyms, bassinettes etc. She had to be in your arms and you had to walk around otherwise she would fuss and cry. She was like that until she was independently mobile/walk at about the age of 1.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

AlirasMummy  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    How old is he?
    10 1/2 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Part of me wants to just roll with it but he gets so tired by the end of the day, he definitely needs more sleep! And honestly I'd just love a break in the day to do a little bit more than be able to get lunch in and hang a load before knowing he'll wake.

I try to go back to sleep for the morning nap since I know it will be hopeless in the day!

Eta: he is a very calm, happy baby. Doesn't get too fussy about not sleeping but you can just tell he's exhausted. Dark circles under his eyes, stop making eye contact, etc. after bath if I don't feed and start to put him down he'll get upset because he's definitely spent!

He also suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) so has to sleep in a dark room or else he'll just watch the world go by out in the pram.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 23-04-2014 at 23:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he's happy I would just roll with it. Maybe workout how much sleep he is getting over 24 hours. I might have forgotten but that seems pretty goid. DS would never sleep longer than 45-1hr in the afternoons either which I think meant he went down better in the evenings. It's hard to remember, there are so many changes in the first year. It does change quickly though. I found pros and cons at different stages eg: 2 naps morning and arvo meant I could get out at lunchtime but 1 middle nap meant I could get out in the morning and arvo. I prefer the flexibity of one nap.

Lol at FOMO!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The slipping the dummy in when stirring did help as did putting him to sleep in his pram and when he was about to wake gently start pushing to get him to roll into the next sleep cycle.