+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you have a local Police Beat, you could take him there so they could have a gentle word with him and definitely have him return things if he has stolen from a shop etc, as even though he is only 4, he still needs to understand consequences for his actions (obviously age appropriate consequences) and hopefully it will just be a little stage he's going through.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend drove her 5 y/o son to the police station and went to take him inside and he was hysterical and refused to get out of the car, so she went in, picked up a neighbourhood watch brochure and left again. She told her son that it was a note from the police telling him if he ever stole again he would be in very big trouble. Worked for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh I'm having this problem atm with my 6yo! I'm horrified, none of my other kids would have even considered stealing! A few weeks ago we went to a friends house and my friend's DD came out yelling that half of her Woolies Dreamworks cards were missing. They were in my DS2's book that he brought over!
    Then a few days ago we got back from holidaying at a friends house, and my DS1 came and told me that DS2 has a bunch of Lego pieces in his suitcase! We are mailing the pieces back to them and DS2 has written an apology letter to our friends.

I have explained to him about how when you're older and steal you can go to jail.
    Next time, I think I'll take up PP's suggestion of the police station!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother did this. A friend of a friend was a police man and mum and asked them to come over in uniform (unofficially) and have a word to my brother. He thought it was real and was so terrified.

I would be making him go back to the store and paying for the items with his own money. If he doesn't have anything make him work really hard until he has enough money to pay it back and doing the police thing would also be beneficial I think. He needs to learn now how serious it is before he gets too old and "unteachable".

As pp said make sure he doesn't eat or keep the items he stole or in any way have any sort of reward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the advice I'm defiantly taking him to the station

two weeks ago the teacher pulled me aside and said your child didn't have lunch today and told us you must have forgotten to buy cateen food I was mortified that he lied to the teacher and myself now his lunch is taken straight to the teacher every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember my brother stealing at that age. Mum took him back and made him apologise and helped him do some age appropriate work there. I think he just used a dustpan and brush but it was something to make him work to pay for what he stole (chocolate bar).

My aunty is a police officer so she took him to the station a few days later and showed him the lockup, that scared the living day lights out of him and he never stole again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand that this is something you're really worried about, but (and I say this with kindness) I really think taking a FOUR year old to the Police Station is way over the top (and my husband is a Detective with Qld Police and has worked in Child Protection!!!!)

The only worry with that is it could make him scared of Police Officers in general and that is not something you want to instill in him at such a young age. He needs to know he can trust the Police in any situation not be scared of them!! If he were old enough to know better then yes, make him return it to the store and apologise and if it happened again a trip to the station might be a good idea, however it could really scare him off Police Officers at 4 years of age???

Best of luck

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2boofulgals For This Useful Post:

FUSSY  (25-04-2014),MilkingMaid  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id try making him take the objects back to where he took them from & apologise first.
    Save the trip to the police station for down the line, hopefully you won't need it.

My aunty used to make my cousin empty out his pockets before they left a shop after he'd taken things, he was so embarrassed that he stopped very quickly