+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Dp was fed on sunshine milk :/ he had lots of gut problems.

Of remembered another thing that was said to me, gmil told me I need to pierce my little dds ears. (She is 4mths)
    The sunshine milk powder may have been a common option back then. MIL and SIL were also advocates of Farex from birth. Makes them sleep through the night apparently

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    DF tells me that DS2 won't sleep because I go in to him when he's crying and I should just leave him..

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    DF tells me that DS2 won't sleep because I go in to him when he's crying and I should just leave him..

Sent from my telecommunications device.
    You awful mother you, responding to your baby! Shame on you!

**pls note sarcasm LOL.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL is terrible for offering bad advice!!
    When DD was 2 months old and hadn't done a poo for 2 days she got the juice out and said to put some in a bottle for her and it would make her go....
    My breast milk was bad because DD had a bit of wind. She actually told me that my breast milk must've 'gone off' and I would be better switching to formula.
    Keeping DD awake all day would make her sleep all night.
    She told my dp that I force dd sleep too much during the day. (4 months old and having 3 naps a day)
    Giving a bottle of formula before bed would fill her up and make her sleep all night.
    Just the other day she said dd should not be crying anymore...She is only 9 months old!! That's
    what babies do!
    This all coming from a woman who had 7 children!!!
    Over Easter my grandma tried to feed dd chocolate. I said no, dp and I aren't ready to give her chocolate yet. She replied that this is the reason kids are having allergies nowadays and that chocolate should be tried at 3 months along with egg, peanut paste etc.
    So dumb. For real.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sitting here with this face: I almost have no words...!

I'm pregnant and not yet on the receiving end of nutty advice (give it a couple of months..) but I have heard of/been witness to these awesome nuggets:

-The MIL and husbands family telling a first time mother that breastfeeding her baby was selfish, because nobody else could feed him...

-The mother telling her daughter it's a good idea to dip a newborn babies dummy in honey to calm him down, and the daughter proceeding to do so for weeks on end, despite my begging for her to stop due to the risk she's putting her baby at with bacteria in honey..

-The mother telling her daughter that it's ok to smoke during pregnancy because she did it and her kids all turned out fine!

-New mothers being talked out of breastfeeding by their aunts/mothers/sisters because "formula is just as good".

-A first time father telling another first time father that their baby was crying because they "hadn't shown it who is boss" and they were being "manipulated"...by a newborn...?!

-A woman telling everyone on facebook that her daughter likes to eat lots of veggies because she started giving her solids from 6 weeks and that anyone who doesn't is stupid. Yes, we are all the stupid ones...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hangingupsidedown For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MIL- If you weren't so quick to give up and let her keep suckling on your breast your milk would have come through eventually. Well actually I would try her everyday for over a month even though I had her on formula trying to encourage milk flow but nothing ever came in and if I hadn't given her formula she would have starved.

DHs single childless friend- that's child abuse (I was burping DD)

And not given to me but to my sister when her 10 day old DS had bad wind "give him lemonade or soda water" that little pearl of wisdom was from my grandmother

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by my mil that I shouldn't hold my son (newborn at the time) so much because he will end up really clingy. I was also told that I shouldn't go to him whenever he cries. And that I should wake him up if he sleeps too long.
    I didn't listen to a word of it and at 2 1/2 my son has been an awesome sleeper (no problems putting him down and sleeping through since 6 weeks), happy to play on his own if he needs to, and he knows that I am always his safe place.

*** "Daddy, toast, hat" ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Non parenting advice - but my mother called me and told me i had better book in for a c-section with this baby, because with DS i had a placenta abruption at 32 weeks and it would be completely selfish of me to do vaginal birth again as clearly my body isn't made for it. I now refuse to speak about anything pregnancy and birth related with her as she is a ripper with putting forward her uneducated opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That I should give my daughter alcohol to increase her appetite.... because thats what her pead told her to do when I was a bub. Gah.

Soooo many silly things ive been told to do. Makes me nervous that my mum baby sits my brothers kid and my cousins kids a few times a week. She has some odd ideas.... old fashioned ideas that should not be used these days. :/

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My father in law told me I needed to sit my son (4 months old at the time) out in the sun for awhile to 'get some colour on his skin'. Yeah...great idea to try and give my baby a suntan...