+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh god I have so many.

From the girl who was replacing me at work: "you do know that when the baby comes out, it can rip open your vagina?" But she's also the idiot who told me I was too young to have bought a house, be married and having a baby at 23. Perhaps it was coming from a place of jealously because she was older than me, single and living with her parents.

From mum: "don't lift your arms above your head! You'll strangle the baby!"

From dad: "'they' say that you should let a baby cry a little bit more each day, that way they learn you're not going to drop everything whenever they cry." I responded with "well 'they' are giving outdated and dangerous advice. Too much crying releases stress hormones which can cause irreversible brain damage. Plus, why wouldn't I respond to my crying newborn?" That shut him up quickly lol.

From MIL - basically everything that comes out of her mouth ;-)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (06-08-2016),MrsHoward  (23-04-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Not advice per se, but my best uninvited opinion came from this old bird on my bus who told me that I was everything that's wrong with Australia. Being teen mothers and immigrants, apparently. Given that I was 32 at the time, I took it as a compliment and ignored the other...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-08-2016),katiana  (27-04-2014),KitiK  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    My Granny's next door neighbour told her that newborn babies only need three feeds a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's all she fed her baby :-( This was before my time I think but the story horrified me and still does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    The reason your baby still has no teeth is because you're still breastfeeding and she's missing out on essential nutrients from formula. MIL- dd was 8 months.
    What. The. Actual. Fook..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was 8 months old and was mouthing a spoon at a restaurant and mil said we should ask for some honey to help with his teething. When I politely declined because of the botulism that honey can carry, she told me "there is just as much germs on that spoon as there is in honey!"

I also hate the advice I've heard so many times that cuddling your newborn will "spoil" them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    The reason your baby still has no teeth is because you're still breastfeeding and she's missing out on essential nutrients from formula. MIL- dd was 8 months.
    Our MILs should get together. Mine was mortified that I breastfed as 'formula has all the proper nutrients for babies'. A few times when I left DS with her with EBM she would comment that it was 'watery' and I should add some formula to it to thicken it.

Gold. Pure gold.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-04-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (24-04-2014),penny92  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Most recently, I was told that bfing DD2 now that she has teeth is "taking my life in my hands" because you know, thousands die every year from breastfeeding kids with teeth, right? Oh...wait...
    gosh, im pretty sure if i didnt wean ds1 id have no nipples. He bit to blood every feed. I had several infections (that may have been fatal if not treated lol). This was with two teeth, i weaned when he got 5more (persevered with the biting for 3mths).

In contrast ds2 nipped,me once and is almost three and has never bitten since).

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    gosh, im pretty sure if i didnt wean ds1 id have no nipples. He bit to blood every feed. I had several infections (that may have been fatal if not treated lol). This was with two teeth, i weaned when he got 5more (persevered with the biting for 3mths).

In contrast ds2 nipped,me once and is almost three and has never bitten since).

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub
    Glad you lived to tell the tale! (seriously, ouch! Poor you!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mil told me several times to give dd formula when she was just a few weeks old because I didn't have enough milk. Total rubbish as dd was putting on weight just fine. When mil sister came to visit she said the same thing too. Lucky I didn't listen to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nanna told me to give ds blackcurrant juice instead of breastmilk if he wanted to feed frequently when he was 4 weeks old. Supposedly he would get too fat guzzling milk all the time but juice is ok

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app