+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    0
    "Didn't you scrub your nipples with a toothbrush while pregnant"

    An old midwife at the hospital when I had given birth to dd1. I was exhausted, in tears and having problems with extreme pain while breast feeding .

    I just looked at her blankly and said "no , I didn't know I was supposed to" she then shook her head and glared at me and said "well that's why it's hurting" and stormed out of the room.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    154
    Reviews
    2
    MIL advised a tablespoon of sherry will help baby sleep, also a dummy dipped in honey. She used to keep a jar of honey next to the cot, to re-dip during the night for my DP! (He still has all his teeth,amazingly)

    She was serious!
    Also I was neglectful for bringing a new baby home without having emergency formula in the house.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Give my kids chocolate since he's not eating any real food.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Not me but my mother was told by her ob that she could smoke as much as she wanted whilst pregnant without doing harm, so long as she only smoked low tar cigarettes.
    The scariest thing is she still believed this some 20+ years later.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  5. #35
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In hospital, 2 hours after giving birth to DD, a midwife/nurse, whatever she was, snapped at me and abruptly told me I had to choose then and there whether or not I'd be formula feeding or breast feeding. Her exact words were, "you better make your mind up now because once you give her formula you can't go back to the breast".
    I had had DD attached incorrectly (without realising it) from the second she was born which had resulted in bruised and bleeding nipples hours after her birth so I'd asked if I could call my hubby to bring in a bottle while I syringe expressed and had a rest.
    I broke down and through angry and exhausted tears told her to back off.
    Still hurts and angers me thinking of that, up until that moment I hadn't stopped smiling. Plus she looked about 18!

    Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (06-08-2016)

  7. #36
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,027
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    When my boys were 7 months old I was sleep deprived and desperate. I took them to a family help type place that usually work with teen or indigenous mothers to work on mother craft type skills, but I went for help with their sleeping.
    It was only a day stay, and it was terrible. I was told not to replace their socks if they fell off, (it was winter and minimal heating in there) that they couldn't have a lovey in the cot etc.

    what really upset me was that at lunch she told me I need to eat my lunch while they sleep. I explained we did blw and they eat what I ate when I ate it. She told me it was new aged nonsense and that they need iron enriched foods because my bm didn't have iron in it any more. I told her that was incorrect and she got huffy with me.
    Later in the day we were attempting to put the boys asleep yet again and part of her method was no eye contact. My boys were screaming, twisting and turning (probably feeling cold and unloved!) and she grabbed their taggie blankets (the loveys they weren't allowed to have ) and used it to cover their faces and said something like "covering their faces is ok when they're being as silly as these two"


    And people wonder why I refuse to "sleep train" dd. this woman was nuts. And she was in charge of young impressionable mothers who had no basis to work from and would take we word as gospel? Scary.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    When my boys were 7 months old I was sleep deprived and desperate. I took them to a family help type place that usually work with teen or indigenous mothers to work on mother craft type skills, but I went for help with their sleeping.
    It was only a day stay, and it was terrible. I was told not to replace their socks if they fell off, (it was winter and minimal heating in there) that they couldn't have a lovey in the cot etc.

    what really upset me was that at lunch she told me I need to eat my lunch while they sleep. I explained we did blw and they eat what I ate when I ate it. She told me it was new aged nonsense and that they need iron enriched foods because my bm didn't have iron in it any more. I told her that was incorrect and she got huffy with me.
    Later in the day we were attempting to put the boys asleep yet again and part of her method was no eye contact. My boys were screaming, twisting and turning (probably feeling cold and unloved!) and she grabbed their taggie blankets (the loveys they weren't allowed to have ) and used it to cover their faces and said something like "covering their faces is ok when they're being as silly as these two"


    And people wonder why I refuse to "sleep train" dd. this woman was nuts. And she was in charge of young impressionable mothers who had no basis to work from and would take we word as gospel? Scary.
    that's awful! What a bish!

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    jagamoe  (06-08-2016),KitiK  (06-08-2016),PurpleButterfly4  (24-04-2014)

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most recently, I was told that bfing DD2 now that she has teeth is "taking my life in my hands" because you know, thousands die every year from breastfeeding kids with teeth, right? Oh...wait...

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    BlueLips  (23-04-2014),caketin  (23-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016),KitiK  (06-08-2016),Renn  (24-04-2014)

  12. #39
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Most recently, I was told that bfing DD2 now that she has teeth is "taking my life in my hands" because you know, thousands die every year from breastfeeding kids with teeth, right? Oh...wait...
    If the rhino I saw today can continue to feed her calf with a honkin' big horn rammed up into her belly, a set of baby teeth is pretty do-able.
    (Eta, I bf'd for 20 months and was bitten plenty of times, I do know it is horribly painful. Not meaning to be dismissive of the pain people might experiencing)
    I think I may have blocked out the absurd advice I was given.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 23-04-2014 at 21:05.

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (23-04-2014),Firsttimemummabear  (24-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (26-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016),JR03  (23-04-2014),michellek  (23-04-2014)

  14. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    If the rhino I saw today can continue to feed her calf with a honkin' big horn rammed up into her belly, a set of baby teeth is pretty do-able.
    (Eta, I bf'd for 20 months and was bitten plenty of times, I do know it is horribly painful. Not meaning to be dismissive of the pain people might experiencing)
    I think I may have blocked out the absurd advice I was given.
    Oh for sure, it hurts. We had a brief biting phase. Not nice. But not fatal


 

Similar Threads

  1. Im so stupid !! HELP PLEASE
    By ajb01 in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-04-2014, 21:49
  2. Probably stupid....
    By Amber4304 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 20-10-2013, 18:17
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-10-2013, 00:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training Products
Toilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of toilet training. With a range of products that can be used at home, on holidays or out & about.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!