+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caketin View Post
    My neighbour just came over and asked how many teeth my DD has and whether I BF. She was worried about her DD not having any and someone told her that BF babies get theirs later than FF babies! She didn't believe them but had to confirm with me haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    The reason your baby still has no teeth is because you're still breastfeeding and she's missing out on essential nutrients from formula. MIL- dd was 8 months.
    I'm guessing she's using the same logic as my MIL..... If you can call it logic 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm guessing she's using the same logic as my MIL..... If you can call it logic 😜
    Well dd1 was bf and started getting her teeth at 4 months. Dd2 was ff from 9 weeks and she started getting her teeth a week before her 1st birthday. Yeah great logic that one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    I didn't personally get this advice but a friend did from her MIL when her DD was constipated.... "Cut off a small bit of velvet soap and put it up her bum"

I know suppositories work and all but come on, soap???
    Soap and water enemas were a common treatment for constipation in hospitals. They're not done so much anymore, but I have seen one done as recent as 4 years ago. I can't vouch for velvet soap, but it's definitely not an out there concept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't believe the posts on here! Shocking

Here are a few of mine..
    -From a nurse on the maternity ward on hearing my 4 day old ds cry: "Did you hold your baby much today or did you have visitors hold him? If you hold babies too much they get wind and won't sleep".
    -From a nurse in the Intensive Care Unit when she spotted me stroking my babies forehead while he was in the humidicrib: "Don't touch him like that, babies don't like being touched much. It just annoys them. If you want to touch him just put you hand on him and don't move it".
    -From my MIL: "Breastfed babies will never sleep through the night because they need formula".
    -From my previous doctor while 36weeks pregnant: "You need to watch what you eat because your babies head is measuring large. Just cut back on the choclate"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    -From a nurse in the Intensive Care Unit when she spotted me stroking my babies forehead while he was in the humidicrib: "Don't touch him like that, babies don't like being touched much. It just annoys them. If you want to touch him just put you hand on him and don't move it".
    I was told similar with dd2, I can't remember the reason I was given but it made sense.

ETA
    Firm touch not feather.When your baby is born, your first instinct will probably be that you want to touch him or her. This is completely natural. Your instinct may be to gently stroke the baby. Please fight this urge. An extremely premature baby can be sensitive to touch. Well, when you think that they should still be in the womb for another four months it’s hardly surprising. If your baby is laying prone (on their front) then gently and making sure your hands are not cold, place your hand on the baby’s back. As we said before it should be quite a firm touch. If this is not always something that you feel comfortable doing you could always put your finger in your baby’s hand.
    http://www.24weeksplus.com/index.php?doc=87 point
    Last edited by atomicmama; 26-04-2014 at 19:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I was told similar with dd2, I can't remember the reason I was given but it made sense.

ETA
    Firm touch not feather.When your baby is born, your first instinct will probably be that you want to touch him or her. This is completely natural. Your instinct may be to gently stroke the baby. Please fight this urge. An extremely premature baby can be sensitive to touch. Well, when you think that they should still be in the womb for another four months it’s hardly surprising. If your baby is laying prone (on their front) then gently and making sure your hands are not cold, place your hand on the baby’s back. As we said before it should be quite a firm touch. If this is not always something that you feel comfortable doing you could always put your finger in your baby’s hand.
    http://www.24weeksplus.com/index.php?doc=87 point
    Thanks for the info. Just to note, my bub wasn't premature so I'll have to find out if they recommend the same touch for full term babies. Also, every time I did it he drifted off to sleep so I thought my touch was comforting. I do understand why they might prefer firm touch but it would have been nice if the nurse actually told me the reasoning behind it instead of just saying it annoys them. She gave me no factual information at all, just a piece of advice delivered without an ounce of empathy to an emotional first time mum that just wants to be close to her baby. This 'advice' actually made me cry at the time, all I wanted was to love my baby and here was this woman telling me I was annoying him. I felt awful. Sorry about the long reply, I think you hit a sore point.
    Last edited by Koarlo; 26-04-2014 at 23:27.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-04-2014),Firsttimemummabear  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by caketin View Post
    My neighbour just came over and asked how many teeth my DD has and whether I BF. She was worried about her DD not having any and someone told her that BF babies get theirs later than FF babies! She didn't believe them but had to confirm with me haha!
    God I wish. DD is fully bf and nearly 8 months old. She has 5 teeth - they started coming through at 4.5months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I've been really lucky and nobody has given me any particularly stupid advice, but it is so scary that bad advice is so prevalent and quite often from 'authority figures'! Makes you wonder how many sleep deprived and vulnerable mums are taking stuff like this at face value....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL has some really awesome comments for me and my SIL who had a baby 2 months after me. Things like "you need to just let her cry in the car. She needs to learn that she cant manipulate you." (said about my DD when she was born till she was about 8 months and didn't need such frequent feeds. And she only ever cried if she was hungry or scared). Another was "just tap him on the hand and tell him no. He needs to learn." (in reference to SIL's DS who is just learning to stand and used a fire extinguisher to pull himself up on).

There is also "I just put him in the cot/pram when I cant be bothered to follow him around the house anymore" (cause baby proofing your house and shutting some doors is too hard).

By far the two worst is arguing with me that it is mean to eat something in front of a baby and not give them some. Ahhh, no I think its meaner to give a refluxy baby things like cheesecake and maccas softserves and make him chuck all the next day than to swap the rubbish out with a piece of fruit. And when she told me I knew nothing about kids cause I told her that DD wouldn't ever be walking around my house with food. I smiled sweetly and replied "I work in childcare, I know lots about kids."

But then, as she said to my mother behind my back one day I "have funny ideas about raising kids". Luckily unlike her I am only trying to raise my own kid and not everyone elses so it really doesn't matter if my ideas (babywearing, natural products and food where possible etc) are funny. My poor SIL though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    I didn't personally get this advice but a friend did from her MIL when her DD was constipated.... "Cut off a small bit of velvet soap and put it up her bum"

I know suppositories work and all but come on, soap???
    Glycerin suppositories are used against constipation and some soaps are made of glycerin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-04-2014)