+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I found out I was pregnant at 21 with DS, I went to the doctors with mum to get a urine test done there to confirm (again) my pregnancy.

Because DS wasnt a planned child (my doctor assumed) he pretty much just gave me pamphlets for advice on abortion & said he could give me a referral and one booked in! He didnt offer any support about keeping the baby.

My mum, who was upset that I had become pregnant, was in complete shock and made a complaint against him. Mum got over the shock and was qute supportive. My dad on the other hand gave me the ultimatum of being kicked out of home or have an abortion (thinking he was going to be the one to 'control' the situation)...I'm sure you can guess which decision I made

Thanks
    Reviews
    A stupid current piece of advice from DS bio father "dont let him watch the same movie more than once in the same week or let him watch tv or he WILL get ADHD!". He also claims that "ADHD is learned from parents being lazy and letting their kids sit and watch tv all day so they get a short attention span." . I told him that I'd love for him to prove to me thats hes right by a professional and not Dr. Google. He shut up after that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By an elderly neighbour (her kids are in their 60s so she'd be 80 perhaps) when I was trying to wean DD "....my son was 3 when I finally stopped bf'ing him, I tried so many things....only thing that worked was putting boot polish on my nipples, perhaps try that "!!!
    Ummmm no thanks 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    That's two posts about shielding a baby's eyes when crying! What's that all about? I've never once heard anything like that!
    Its absurd isnt it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by penny92 View Post
    My MIL is terrible for offering bad advice!!
    When DD was 2 months old and hadn't done a poo for 2 days she got the juice out and said to put some in a bottle for her and it would make her go....
    My breast milk was bad because DD had a bit of wind. She actually told me that my breast milk must've 'gone off' and I would be better switching to formula.
    Keeping DD awake all day would make her sleep all night.
    She told my dp that I force dd sleep too much during the day. (4 months old and having 3 naps a day)
    Giving a bottle of formula before bed would fill her up and make her sleep all night.
    Just the other day she said dd should not be crying anymore...She is only 9 months old!! That's
    what babies do!
    This all coming from a woman who had 7 children!!!
    Over Easter my grandma tried to feed dd chocolate. I said no, dp and I aren't ready to give her chocolate yet. She replied that this is the reason kids are having allergies nowadays and that chocolate should be tried at 3 months along with egg, peanut paste etc.
    So dumb. For real.
    I could have written this word for word!!!

Maybe we married brothers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Not advice as such ... But DS2 was later to walk (15 months) and had a weird limp to it when he started. My friend who is a nurse asked me if she thought he may have been malnourished due to me being so stressed with my marriage ending while I was pregnant with him. I lost a lot of weight so she said maybe he didn't develop strongly enough. I felt a lot of guilt!! Thankfully he is totally fine and just had a weird little start up to walking to begin with.
    My DD had slight torticollis and I received similar remarks. I'm REALLY sorry you had to hear those kinds of statements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is interesting. I wonder what our daughters and granddaughters will think of our advice in the future! The way we do things now will probably be considered all wrong

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (26-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't personally get this advice but a friend did from her MIL when her DD was constipated.... "Cut off a small bit of velvet soap and put it up her bum"

I know suppositories work and all but come on, soap???

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my dd was 10 days old she was admitted to hospital. She was sucking on my finger for comfort as we had no dummy & it was the only thing calming her down. I had a nurse tell me not to let her do that because babies are "mouth breathers"!!
    Id like to know how she thinks babies breathe while nursing??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Missabubble For This Useful Post:

mousky  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My neighbour just came over and asked how many teeth my DD has and whether I BF. She was worried about her DD not having any and someone told her that BF babies get theirs later than FF babies! She didn't believe them but had to confirm with me haha!