+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stupid advice

What is the stupidest advice or comment you have ever received as a parent?

I'll start... Letting my ds lay in is cot and talk to himself when he wakes up is child abuse and neglecting him

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firsttimemummabear For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-04-2014),LiterallyNoOne  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Who the hell told you that?!

I have had a few stupid things said to me with DS back when i was vulnerable. One was being told to throw away my frozen stash of breast milk and replace it with formula. Why would i do that after working so hard for the stash? But i was told it was stupid and to throw it all away. I was very insulted.

Another time a young single male know it all 'mate' came over for a visit (well more so to try and help his other mate sell us stuff) and when DS needed a nap, but was over stimulated (he was 13 months old) because of the rowdy guests we had over, the 'mate' came into the room while i was putting DS down and le3ctured me for only BF for 9 months and that he can tell there is a very obvious issue between DS and I because DS is refusing his nap and its because i wasn't BF anymore.... That comment shocked me and upset me so much. I haven't spoken to that jerk again. He has tried to invite himself since over but I have told him after his uneducated parenting advice he isn't welcome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

hangingupsidedown  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg some people are so rude!!!! No way on earth would I throw my stash away. I almost cried once when I dropped a 100ml bottle of ebm on the floor haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Giving my two weeks old panadol because she got blocked nose and unsettled ......

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My mil told me to give him a dummy when he was crying for a feed!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't even had my bub yet but this is one 'gem' I've been given so far:

"I know of a really great parenting program for 'people like you' & it's very important so you really should go because you are going to be a 'young mum'".

I'm in my late 20's. I just happen to look young. And even if I was going to be a 'young mum' why does that mean I would need to go to a parenting program? Why does that make me any less likely to be a good parent than older women? I seriously could have slapped that lady...........

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (24-04-2014),MrsHoward  (23-04-2014),penny92  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Firsttimemummabear View Post
    Omg some people are so rude!!!! No way on earth would I throw my stash away. I almost cried once when I dropped a 100ml bottle of ebm on the floor haha
    Exactly!! EBM is like gold!! And my stash was my hero whenever DS was having is major growth spurts as well, as he was born 8 weeks prem so his growth spurts were hectic! He was a boob zombie! So it really came in handy to give me a break at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I haven't even had my bub yet but this is one 'gem' I've been given so far:

"I know of a really great parenting program for 'people like you' & it's very important so you really should go because you are going to be a 'young mum'".

I'm in my late 20's. I just happen to look young. And even if I was going to be a 'young mum' why does that mean I would need to go to a parenting program? Why does that make me any less likely to be a good parent than older women? I seriously could have slapped that lady...........
    Ohh that's a ripper - what a rude person! She sounds bitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    FOB telling me that I was BFing our son too many times a day. DS was only 10 days old and it was a hot December day. I told him to F off after that

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016),KitiK  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason your baby still has no teeth is because you're still breastfeeding and she's missing out on essential nutrients from formula. MIL- dd was 8 months.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (23-04-2014)