+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mammas who are studying full time - whats the juggle like between study v parenting?

I havent been in BH for a while now its weird to be back!!! - i have 2 gorgeous kids DD is 3.5 DS 2.5 - I have made the decision to return to study fulltime next year - BMID or Nursing at UTS.
    But just today i have started freaking out about study v being a mumma - i am 37 now and dont want to put off studying any longer. So how is the juggle with study and parenting - note we have no family living in Australia - and most likely will have to engage a Nanny when it comes to working in a hospital during the first 3 years.
    Any mature age students studying full time on campus with little ones at home? How hard is it?
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

3cheekyboys  (26-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there.

I have two little ones, 3.5 and 4.5 and im studying full time doing a double Nursing and Midwifery degree.

There is no doubt that it is bloody hard work! I started in 2011 and took 18 months off after 1.5 years studying because I just burnt out. However, I've gone back to it with a much different attitude and am enjoying it much more. Previously I worried about doing everything perfectly and there is no way you can keep that up over 4 years! So now my mantra is "good enough" for everything. Parenting, housework, assignments, placements you name it. If it gets done to a reasonable standard, in a reasonable amount of time, well then I give myself a high five and pour a big glass of wine haha

We don't have any help from family either but I'm lucky that dh has a reasonably flexible job and can work from home sometimes. We're also looking at a nanny for next year. It's so hard to arrange childcare around shift times for placement!

Most of the time my house is messy, my kids spend way too much time watching tv, I don't see my friends as much as I'd like, we're always broke and I'm always tired, my husband thinks I'm crazy most of the time, but everything gets done, the kids will survive on spaghetti and toast a few nights a week, and the housework can wait. In the end, I love what I do and I'm determined to finish my degree and follow my dreams.

My advice, take it one day at a time, sometimes even one hour, minute, second at a time. At the end of it, the crazy times of placement, exams etc are usually only for a few weeks and then you get a reprieve to re-charge your batteries and do it all again! Haha

Be prepared for hard work but as with most things that require a bit of effort, the reward is worth it. It's a bit like parenting, you never know how hard it will be until you do it, but then you do it, and it can be hard, but it gets done and everyone makes it out alive! Haha

Go for it and good luck!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankyou!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I haven't done it myself, but before kids I worked as a student counsellor at a university. Met lots of mature age students with kids who had taken the plunge to return to study.

Like PP has said-take it one day at a time. Sometimes you will feel completely stressed and overwhelmed, but you can get through it if you don't give up.

I can't stress this enough-utilise all services available through the uni!!!! Even if you study off campus, you are still entitled to access student supports and I think sometimes distance students forget this. Talk to the counsellor if you are feeling stressed, seek assistance with essay writing if you need it, speak with the librarian about sourcing references..whatever you need! Don't be afraid to ask for help! That's what these staff are there for.

The earlier on in a term you make contact, the easier it is for them to help you and get supports in place.

Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did my nursing degree when I was 25 - well before kids!! Back then I found that I had a lot of spare time, except for when I was on placement. If you have good supports at home (a nanny would be amazing!) then I think you will be fine.
    As a mature age student I know that I was disappointed if I didn't get amazing marks for an assignment. However, at the time I had to make paying my rent and bills a priority too which meant that I had to work and couldn't dedicate all my time to uni as I would have liked. I atill passed with flying colours even though i was working at least 30hours a week. P's get degrees as they say and your bachelor degree is just the beginning - you do the real learning on the job in my opinion. How exciting. Good luck, it is a really rewarding career path

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am studying full time with 4 children and am 6 months pregnant with number 5. It is very full on, I am lucky that my husband works flexible hours around uni. I won't go on prac until next year (nursing) as my bub is due in August so I will just drop down o one subject ext term, I'm currently doing 4. It is a big juggle and I feel like I miss out on time with the kids but I am keeping the bigger picture in mind! I know it will be worth it! Crunchie summed it up perfectly: not everything has to be perfect, but I have gotten much more organised since starting uni!
    It is very doable, you just need to be dedicated; good luck!