+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe that there is such a thing as 'bad behaviour' at that age, as frustrating as night wake ups are. My DD had periods when she would wake in the middle of the night for no apparent reason and be wide awake. If she didn't fall back to sleep almost as soon as I picked her up I knew she was going to be awake. Generally she would be awake for 2 hours and then just naturally go into a new sleep cycle. But oh my goodness the first couple of times she did it when I spent 2 hours trying to get her back to sleep were maddening. I would think she was asleep because she was so still but as soon as I tried to get her in the cot all hell broke loose. After that first time I just lay her in bed with me in the dark and knew she would eventually get back to sleep.

If its not teeth, and panadol or nurofen don't help, it may be something like we went through.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (23-04-2014),Bubbles10  (23-04-2014),KitiK  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have given her (in her life time) one dose of panadol and one dose of neurofen. If she is likely to have an allergic reaction it will be with the second dose so I'm reluctant to give her the second dose at night when this sort of thing is going on.
    That means I need to give her a second dose during the day for no reason. I can't bring myself to give her meds for no reason..... It's catch 22!
    I know it won't hurt her to have it for no reason but there is (in my books) something that doesn't sit right in meds for no reason.
    If she was in such discomfort overnight from teething, would she not also be out of sorts during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My thoughts reading that:

growth spurt/wonder week
    teeth
    EI
    sickness of some type

Like Leafy I don't believe 5.5 month olds have bad behaviour.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (23-04-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no not necessary, the discomfort comes from the teeth putting pressure on the gums, that can stop and start at any time. maybe some teething gel? I think you are doing the right thing when you leave when you are frustrated. A few minutes alone to remove your stress is a good thing, and bub will be ok for a short while. Small babies just need to be held sometimes. There is no 'bad behaviour' it is just that they need you to be nearby. Marie.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (23-04-2014),SpecialK  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    I have given her (in her life time) one dose of panadol and one dose of neurofen. If she is likely to have an allergic reaction it will be with the second dose so I'm reluctant to give her the second dose at night when this sort of thing is going on.
    That means I need to give her a second dose during the day for no reason. I can't bring myself to give her meds for no reason..... It's catch 22!
    I know it won't hurt her to have it for no reason but there is (in my books) something that doesn't sit right in meds for no reason.
    If she was in such discomfort overnight from teething, would she not also be out of sorts during the day?
    Allergies to paracetamol and ibuprofen are very rare- do you have a family history or some other reason to believe your child might be allergic?
    I don't think giving an unsettled or upset baby panadol is "for no reason" if all other options are explored- they are fed, clean, dry, not hot or cold etc- that they might be in pain or discomfort isn't illogical iykwim.
    I know my youngest seems much worse at night when teething, it's harder for her to rest with a sore mouth but not so bad when she is up and playing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (23-04-2014),SpecialK  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started doing the same at 5 months, not letting me put her down and waking frequently overnight again. Just seemed to be early separation anxiety for her as she had no more teeth come through for 3 months after that. There is a wonder week around this age where they learn about relationships and distance. If she doesn't seem in discomfort then maybe it's this for you too. Hope you get a better night tonight

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    A wonder week? There's one predicted from 22 1/2 weeks - 26 1/2.
    I've got the wonder week app and she never seems to have any behavioral changes around the 'leap' periods.