+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Career change but to what?

I'm lost - perhaps a 2yr early mid life crisis!

I have an Arts degree and a masters in commerce.

I've been out of the work force proper since being pregnant with DS in 2006. I've done some book keeping/finance/admin work for friends and a family business (4 days a week) but it's boring me silly. I'm sick of the work, no real social interaction and I'm just over it.

Trouble is I've never found my niche in the workforce, my degrees are broad but almost outdated, I have work experience but not in a specific field. Both kids are at school next year so need flexibility which my current work has but that's hard to get elsewhere.

I don't know what I want to do or how to even figure it out, I just feel lost and like I'm wasting my chances at a career but I don't know in what.

I'd like to work in a hospital but don't have health background and the admin jobs I could do are a massive $$ backwards to where I was pre-DS. I don't really want to do another degree but short courses I've looked at seen a bit iffy.

Any ideas on where to go or how to figure this out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    what about in the hospital warehouse?
    OR
    hospital security?

Or how about a job in an aged care home or disability care home. Yes it is not well paid but very rewarding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm lost - perhaps a 2yr early mid life crisis!

I have an Arts degree and a masters in commerce.

I've been out of the work force proper since being pregnant with DS in 2006. I've done some book keeping/finance/admin work for friends and a family business (4 days a week) but it's boring me silly. I'm sick of the work, no real social interaction and I'm just over it.

Trouble is I've never found my niche in the workforce, my degrees are broad but almost outdated, I have work experience but not in a specific field. Both kids are at school next year so need flexibility which my current work has but that's hard to get elsewhere.

I don't know what I want to do or how to even figure it out, I just feel lost and like I'm wasting my chances at a career but I don't know in what.

I'd like to work in a hospital but don't have health background and the admin jobs I could do are a massive $$ backwards to where I was pre-DS. I don't really want to do another degree but short courses I've looked at seen a bit iffy.

Any ideas on where to go or how to figure this out?
    as as they say, if you enjoy your job, you will never work a day in your life. So think about your hobbies and interests, and think about careers around that.

For example, I have a management and marketing degree and work part time now in marketing but I HATE it.

When I was a kid my mum and I would always decorate and paint my room, I love housewares, furniture, design shows etc, so I'm doing an online interior design course (non-award) to get more of an idea of what it really entails, then I might go on and do a diploma through TAFE. But ultimately, I want to eventually (by the time I'm 40 - I'm 31 now) I want my own interior design business.

What are some of your hobbies and interests?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get a nursing degree (RN) in only 2 years if you already have a previous degree (graduate entry).

I have a Bachelor of Social Science with majors in politics and community work and I'm studying nursing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (23-04-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What is it about hospitals that appeal to you? Does medicine interest you, or is it the appeal of helping people? And sick people in particular or people in a vulnerable situation? I would try to nail down what *sort* of work you might like, and then think of all the types of places you could do that sort of work.
    A friend of mine saw a counsellor a few years ago as she was having second thoughts about her career- it really really helped her see what she wanted. There are counsellors who specialize in that sort of thing, it would be worth looking into that before jumping into a lengthy and expensive TAFE or uni course.
    Oh and I just wanted to add- I'm in my dream job and I still hate it some days, some days it's boring, some days it's stressful, some days I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall, some days I feel like I have NFI what I'm doing. Work is definitely still work, even if it's your passion and vocation.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (23-04-2014),ICanDream  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because it's been over 10yrs since I finished my masters and longer for my arts degree I'm no longer eligible for credits, I have to start all over.

I guess I have lots of interest in medical things due to my own poor health and whilst I can never be a doctor I thought at least working in a hospital doing administration of some sorts might suit.

I'm not even really looking for my dream job, just a pathway to something more interesting now that both kids are heading to school and I'm nearly 40. It's trying to break out of the rut of the past 8 yrs and find a new challenge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    as as they say, if you enjoy your job, you will never work a day in your life. So think about your hobbies and interests, and think about careers around that.

For example, I have a management and marketing degree and work part time now in marketing but I HATE it.

When I was a kid my mum and I would always decorate and paint my room, I love housewares, furniture, design shows etc, so I'm doing an online interior design course (non-award) to get more of an idea of what it really entails, then I might go on and do a diploma through TAFE. But ultimately, I want to eventually (by the time I'm 40 - I'm 31 now) I want my own interior design business.

What are some of your hobbies and interests?
    Can I ask who you are doing your course through? I'm happy to look at some courses if I could find a decent place to go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work at the airport. It's such a great job.

Although its shift work.. Which is gross!
    But the staff travel makes it worth it and the money is ok.
    I am also doing my cert 3 in aged care.

It's so hard to find something you love.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    OP, I'm doing through the Interior Design Institute. They are non award which means even though I get one of their diplomas, I can't then use it to get any credit if I go to TAFE as they aren't a registered training authority (RTO).

I would then either do,TAFE or a propert diploma through the International School of Colour and Design, who are an RTO and have great networks to help you find a job at the end. Though their advanced diploma teaches you how to run your own business too (to a point).

Are you interested in interior design / interior styling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    curtin uni does an online degree in health info management for work in hospitals. that might appeal?