+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you have a student midwife?

In addition to your usual care? How did you find it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a male midwife and he was fantastic. So gentle, calming and funny. I think my hubby liked having another male to chat to thru all the craziness.
    Highly recommend!

Sent from my GT-S7275T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was meant to have a continuity of care student midwife follow me through my pregnancy. She only made it to two of my appointments and didn't come to my birth or visit afterwards. I was pretty disappointed.

I did however have a student midwife with me when I was giving birth both times and they were lovely. That said I was only in hospital 45 minutes before giving birth to DD, but Robyn my student with DS stayed with me throughout the whole induction process and was truly lovely. She visited me on the ward the next day too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Surely did. She was great.
    I did shared cared with my gp and hospital midwives. She came to every appointment, scan, check up and occasional emergency visit when things didn't seem right. She was by my side the whole time through labour and was an excellent support person for both me and DF.

Originally I sought out a student MW to help DF. I thought he might feel a bit better with a well versed friend to help him out with support and also just to be there in general for loo breaks etc. but ultimately she was a great help to us both and I thoroughly enjoyed having a familiar and very friendly face there during delivery as well as in the following weeks after dd was born.

I found her via Bubhub. She was seeking ladies to complete her studies. They have to follow a certain number of cases from pregnancy through to birth. But I'm sure you could also contact the local uni. Their midwifery lecturers would know how to pair you up with one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm chatting to a lovely one at the moment my hesitation has been that I already have a doula for the birth and I don't want to overcrowd us... but my doula is being very hands off and hard to get in touch with so I'm thinking it may be a good thing, especially as I'm going for a vba2c.

Was it odd to have them there for the hospital appointments. I'm not so sure about that bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one and found it to be a fantastic experience. At the hospital appointments I found she would often ask questions that I hadn't thought of or didn't know how to ask. I think her presence also made the midwives a little more thorough in what they covered. She was absolutely amazing during the birth and great to debrief with afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my first birth I didn't have a student follow me, although I was pretty keen on the idea. In the end I decided not to as I wanted to share it with DP not someone I didn't know that well. In the end I had two different student midwives on duty during my labor - one was lucky enough to still be there when I gave birth. She was totally amazing and contacted me a few times after the birth just to see how I was going.

This time around I have a student midwife and she is lovely. While she only needs to go to 2 appointments, she likes to come to more than that. She gets to do my blood pressure, fundal height, a bit of tummy feeling and the Doppler. So she's quite hands on and works closely with my actual midwife. She'll try and be at the birth and visit afterwards I feel totally at ease with her and I think she'll be a great support during labor.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you have a student midwife?

If anyone in melbourne is looking for one, PM me x
    Last edited by CodieBloom; 03-02-2015 at 22:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a student midwife with my third baby and she was amazing!! Came to almost all my appointments and during the birth was an amazing support. I really cant speak highly enough of her.

Because of such a positive experience I decided to have a student midwife again this pregnancy. While she has been unable to come to most appointments, she is still a lovely support and as I am one of her first 'patients', she is so super eager to learn and very attentive. Another positive experience so far

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)