+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 21st birthday on the cheap. Ideas needed

My eldest boy turns 21 in late May. I'm giving him a weeks accommodation and airfare to the Gold Coast for him and his GF. So I will be a bit strapped to pay for any type of celebration. Any ideas for a great night on the cheap?
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 22-04-2014 at 15:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reserve a table/bar area at a pub/bar. Put on $100-$200 worth of nibbles (spring rolls, hot chips, wedges - whatever they serve), friends pay for their own drinks.

I did this for mine but at a cocktail bar with ~15ish friends.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Backyard BBQ few Slabs or beer/casks of wine nibbles etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Something at home? You could borrow some webbers and do beef and gravy rolls, you could provide a bit of alcohol and guests could BYO - have good music, borrow a pool table....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep roast and salads or BBQ and salad. Stock up on soft drink on special over the next few grocery shops and keep and eye out for specials on wine and beer (or whatever your son and your family drink). Also let guests know they can BYO.

And have fairy lights. Lots of fairy lights.

Of course it depends on how many people you plan to invite, but ^^ is what our families have tended to find the most economical and easiest for anything over 15 or so people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would just host a BBQ at home. Bulk buy your meat somewhere like super butcher and ask guests to help with sides - salads, fruit, bread rolls etc and BYO alcohol. Some of the best parties I had growing up at home were like that. Usually in the garage so protected from the elements (and out of the direct vision of mum and dad lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Reserve a table/bar area at a pub/bar. Put on $100-$200 worth of nibbles (spring rolls, hot chips, wedges - whatever they serve), friends pay for their own drinks.

I did this for mine but at a cocktail bar with ~15ish friends.
    I did this, we were also allowed to bring cake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the BBQ, salads and BYO alcohol at home party. Nice and easy and can make it cheap as you can.

My parents said if I had a 18th they wouldn't pay for a 21st. I thought that was pretty reasonable so I had a dinner (hot dishes and BBQ snags with salads) at my parents place and I hired a karaoke/jukebox machine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    BBQ and beer!!! If you have an Aldi nearby their slabs of beer are incredibly cheap and taste pretty good (you can get a slab of larger for under $30 and it tastes as good as the premium brands). If you have a decent sized yard you could also have a small bonfire in an old drum or you can buy the fire pits really cheap at bunnings.
    I still remember my ex boyfriends 21st - Barbie & barrell (beer keg) in the backyard, it was great!!! Gathering around the bonfire, freezing cold night, hot sausages, cold beer. Afterwards we all headed out to the local pub, was a great easy night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    BBQ not really an option at our place. And I don't own a BBQ and don't have the option to borrow one also, he's a bit of a geek with geek friends that are not really drinkers. The pub finger food thing might be a good idea. Thanks for all the suggestions though.