+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a bit odd - I also grew up in the 80's and it was always the inviter paying for the McDonalds etc.
    We also didn't get to have a party every year - it was every 2-3 years for us which I think was fair.

I wouldn't be bothered about bringing a plate - but also asking you to bring your own drinks and a present seems a bit too much. You could always host a party at 10am or 2.30pm and just supply chips/Lollies etc. I don't think anyone would expect anything more at those times of the day.

But paying to enter a playcentre for a birthday party? I wouldn't be happy with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    .... It's not as if the date creeped up on them, it's the same each year. Plan ahead 1 $2 bag of chips or lollies in the groceries every week, hey even every 2nd week for a few months before if your that strapped for cash.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014),MummaOJ  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't need to spend a fortune to give your kid a party though. We grew up very poor, Mum made a cake and we had some homemade food and popcorn. I got to invite about 5 friends. We played pin the tail on the donkey and a few other games - the prize was a lollipop or something similar. The problem is now kids expect so much and parents all compete, each pass the parcel wrapper needs a prize and party bags are full of ridiculous things.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (23-04-2014),haveheart  (22-04-2014),onionskin  (23-04-2014),SoThisIsLove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it a little strange, however I would still attend. It's not much bother to pack a picnic lunch, I would probably cheapskate on the pressie though.

For the first 8yrs of her life my DD1 was an only child, she had a birthday party every year to celebrate with her friends, it certainly wasn't to get presents. In fact, I get embarrassed when people bring gifts. Kids just want to play with their friends, they don't care about who supplies the food or drink.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It's not something I would do but if DS liked the kid then sure we would still go, it's not the kids fault his parents are like that - I usually offer to make something anyway so it wouldn't bother me
    This

A child's birthday party should be special and I wouldn't want the poor kid to miss out on having friends there just over food. I'd never hold a party without any food though, quite odd really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm that's weird. I agree with other pps, make it a morning tea or arvo tea so don't have to cater a lot of food.
    Or if bringing food and drinks then a present shouldn't be expected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did a BYO drinks lunch party. Also told people to bring a plate to share if they had anything ready and easy in their fridge.

Asked for no gifts for the birthday boy.

I think BYO drinks and food is ok, especially in a park! Wouldn't phase me at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't realize you needed to cater for food and drinks to call it a party?!

To me a party is a gathering of friends, no matter who pay for the food?!

What a weird attitude!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its amazing to me that so many think that this child can't call his party a party because food isnt provided! Are you kidding me?!... If he has one person there and they enjoy it its a party! A party is whatever you want it to be/can afford and if someone has a problem with bringing a sandwich then that's there problem! Don't let children miss out because of adult narrow mindedness

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (23-04-2014),Maxwell's Silver Hammer  (22-04-2014),MINIRoo  (23-04-2014),RipperRita  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parties come in all shapes & sizes. Who really cares about the food and more particularly who paid for it??? The reasons behind the style of party isn't even anyone's business. Go or don't go but personally I wouldn't base it on whether food was provided.

As long as the birthday child feels special and hopefully the guests have a good time, it's a party.

Party on!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiloMel For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (23-04-2014),IvyRain  (22-04-2014),MINIRoo  (23-04-2014),RipperRita  (22-04-2014)