+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Yes thats a huge expense. But assuming not everyone has this type of party, I don't know, I think it's different but not necessarily wrong. Like I said, it's an invitation, you can decline. But it's about the kid, not their parents so I'd try to keep that in mind.
    Yes I know what you are saying, but my point is that the cost would be insane if this becomes the norm - and given this is how so many adult parties have become it may well happen.

I do agree it's about the child, but again, shouldn't their parents be keeping that in mind rather than expecting everyone to cater for them? I guess I'm just struggling to understand why all the cost and onus falls onto in many cases, strangers (I don't know several of the parents DD gets invited to parties of).
    Last edited by delirium; 22-04-2014 at 17:43.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes I know what you are saying, but my point is that the cost would be insane if this becomes the norm - and given this is how so many adult parties have become it may well happen.

I do agree it's about the child, but again, shouldn't their parents be keeping that in mind rather than expecting everyone to cater for them? I guess I'm just struggling to understand why all the cost and onus falls onto in many cases, strangers (I don't know several of the parents DD gets invited to parties of).
    So far I haven't been to a kids party that wasn't fully paid for by the parents, so I think it's fair to say most parents do assume the responsibility. I'm just responding to the OP, not saying it should totally be the norm! Anyway, opinion given, that's all I want to say....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Botticelli  (23-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's nothing wrong "bring a plate" type of get togethers, I've been to many. But, the host has always still provided the basics at the very least and guests just bring along something extra to add to the mix. It's fun and also a great way to help the host out and say thanks.
    No matter what the occasion, if I'm going to someones house for a dinner/party/morning tea even, I always offer to bring something. But yeah, it's never been expected that every guest will make up for the entire catering of the event, that's a bit different :/

I wouldn't exactly find it offensive, just not something I'd personally do. And I'd still go, for the child's sake.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Botticelli  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a little odd. But on the flip side who knows that the parents are dealing with and still want to have a celebration for their child and for whatever reason can't physically emotionally mentally financially go to the "normal" lengths. Perhaps think about how the child would feel and just pop together a few food items and attend for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely odd to me.

If I was struggling financially I would probably limit the party to family members and close friends or just not have a party at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    If it was just our family we would all bring food and drink.

If its for my friends kids or my DDs friend I wouldn't mind bringing either drinks or a plate, but not both.

Seriously if you can't afford to cater at least food or drink, then either don't have a party or limit it to family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly just don't see the big deal. And why is everyone assuming the hosts are providing nothing? They most likely will be providing cake/snacks etc I'd find it very hard to believe that they would show up with nothing at all.

And to those saying keep it simple - pretty sure that's what the parents were trying to do. Saying the kid shouldn't have a party at all because the parents asked people to bring some food along is mean spirited.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (22-04-2014),MilkingMaid  (24-04-2014),MINIRoo  (23-04-2014),RipperRita  (22-04-2014),SoThisIsLove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I think you should attend. Just so you can let us all know if the hosts did in fact supply anything lol

Overall, I'm not 100% sure on my opinion of the idea. I never encountered it while I was growing up & I've not heard of something like it since. But in this particular circumstance, seeing how last year they wanted each guest to pay their own kids entry fee etc to the play area, I'd hazard a guess at gift grab.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (22-04-2014),headoverfeet  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All parties are gift grabs if that's the opinion.... DS has only been to about 6-7 parties so far but so far I'm the only one who actually thanked (or had DS thank) guests for their present at DS's party last year. Every other party we've been to, we have not been thanked - just told to put the present on the present table - one parent actually came up and said 'I'll take that' as we arrived once. Not rudely as such but still no actual acknowledgement or thank you. How is that not gift grabbing?

A party is a party, who cares how it happens?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    OP I think you should attend. Just so you can let us all know if the hosts did in fact supply anything lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (22-04-2014)