+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    true...but my kids cannot eat most of those things!

Cheap brand chips all have milk solids in the flaverings, shapes all have dairy, doritos (other than plain) are pretty horrid with artificial stuff. Could maybe do the Sakata's.

There is a bigger picture than just people's own experience...and sometimes, if we want to embrace things we do...rather than picking people apart and telling them how they should do it.
    One would assume that special dietary requirements would take their own, I know I do

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't find the wording 'bring a plate' odd, but BYO food is strange. What do the kids do, each eat only what they brought? Bring a plate would be a picnic not a party.

My friends and I always bring a plate to BBQs, but the host also provides some food and soft drinks.

I get being broke, we were poor growing up (I'm talking struggling to put good on the table poor) but, if we had a party, we had a party. Mum would buy some cheap lollies and chips etc. She knew when we were born so she had a long time to save for it. She also didn't give us a party each year. Sometimes it was just a couple of friends for a sleepover.

If you really cannot afford the $20, then a casual picnic with shared plates works fine but asking people to bring everything themselves is rather odd. Everyone sitting eating their own sandwiches and one kid getting upset because another kid has better good is not a party, that's a school lunch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nattherat For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a family bbq/picnic, not a party.

Oh well.... Id find it odd but not necessarily (intentionally) rude. Whether i attended would depend on how well i know the other parents though.... So we could discuss beforehand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Seems a bit odd to me. I've never been to a BYO kids birthday party, but if you are on a budget and you still want to give your kids a party experience it must be hard. However I must admit it does sound like a present grab, which is really sad for the kids, especially if it's not meant that way.

I think if I was on a tight budget I might word the invite to say something along the lines of "party food provided for the children, adults please bring a plate to share" Kids party food can be done on a budget - a loaf of white bread 1/2 made into fairy bread 1/2 into vegemite sandwiches, a few packets of cheap supermarket brand chips, same with lollies, a couple of packets of sweet biscuits and some fruit cut up on a plate. Kids won't be too fussed as long as they get something to nibble on. Parents might look down the noses at the quality, but meh, who cares!

Or maybe not call it a party - and word it to say something like "Please join as for a BYO picnic to celebrate NAME's birthday. Gift's not necessary"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014),headoverfeet  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's odd. Wouldn't mind if food was catered for kids only and not the adults.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    Another one who grew up in the 80s, never did we have to pay to attend a party, whether it was macca's or Luna park. In our family if you say its a party you supply the food drinks, nibbles and a cake. It doesn't have to be fancy for goodness sakes.

I am of the opinion if you can't afford the above then you really shouldn't be putting on a party.

I guess we also didn't have a party every year and neither did our friends. I think a lot of parents think a large party every year is a pre requisite these days and somehow there child will be damaged without an official party.
    No one knows the reason behind this and who are you to judge what is normal. What is normal for one family can be totally different for another.

I grew up in quite a poor single parent household (in the 80's) and never once had a birthday party thrown for me.... Ever.... Because my mum simply couldn't afford it. I used to get clothes every birthday as well and hardly ever got any toys. She never would have been able to afford even a simple party as we could barely afford basic nessestities. When I was older I would invite a couple of friends over for a slumber party and we'd watch a movie and eat spag bog and chips. That's as special as it got for me and it was fine and I was appreciative.

I wish my mum had of thought of something like this...

I would have still attended. And I would of brought a fabulous plate of special party treats and a gift for the birthday kid and had a fab time...
    Last edited by RipperRita; 22-04-2014 at 16:48.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (23-04-2014),Smyles  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    No one knows the reason behind this and who are you to judge what is normal. What is normal for one family can be totally different for another.

I grew up in quite a poor single parent household (in the 80's) and never once had a birthday party thrown for me.... Ever.... Because my mum simply couldn't afford it. I used to get clothes every birthday as well and hardly ever got any toys. She never would have been able to afford even a simple party as we could barely afford basic nessestities. When I was older I would invite a couple of friends over for a slumber party and we'd watch a movie and eat spag bog and chips. That's as special as it got for me and it was fine and I was appreciative.

I would have still attended. And I would of brought a fabulous plate of special party treats and a gift for the birthday kid and had a fab time...
    I can totally understand that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post

I am only commenting on what was my normal. I also came from a single parent family in the 80s and like you parties were not big affairs, so I do get that, but if my mum said you were having a party that meant that you invited your friends and had food and cake supplied by us, the hosts.

I was just giving my perspective on what we have always done. I have never been to a childrens party and been asked to bring food or pay to enter a venue, an adult/family bbq get together yes, but never a childrens party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I understand some families are broke, but I don't think it's really fair to pass the cost off to other people that aren't close family or friends. People are saying why should the child miss out? (and I do see their point), but by the same token, maybe the guests are broke too? not only are they bringing a present but also food too. I know they don't have to let their kids go, but anyone with kids over 3 or 4 know they always want to go to parties.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (22-04-2014),haveheart  (22-04-2014),headoverfeet  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't afford to throw a birthday party? Why not financially burden your kids friends by asking them to bring a plate and a present instead. Yep that sounds reasonable. Sure your kid went to all the other kids parties and ate for free, but you are now asking everyone to pay for your party. Not fair. Like pp said, a packet of snags, bread and sauce, some chips and lollies would not break the bank at $20-$30. Provide jugs of water. I know I sound mean but it really rubs me the wrong way how these days people expect others to pay for their events. I went to a 30th the other week - it was a dinner. No mention of us paying for our own dinners, so I went along and bought a lovely present. It was a proper sit down 6 course degustation menu, and we had to buy our own alcohol. Fair enough I thought, until at the end the birthday girl was going around collecting money! Oh sorry didn't you know she said it's $75 per head!!!! Omfg. Thanks for inviting us to YOUR party and getting your guests to foot the bill.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (22-04-2014)