+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another one who grew up in the 80s, never did we have to pay to attend a party, whether it was macca's or Luna park. In our family if you say its a party you supply the food drinks, nibbles and a cake. It doesn't have to be fancy for goodness sakes.

I am of the opinion if you can't afford the above then you really shouldn't be putting on a party.

I guess we also didn't have a party every year and neither did our friends. I think a lot of parents think a large party every year is a pre requisite these days and somehow there child will be damaged without an official party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not something I would do but if DS liked the kid then sure we would still go, it's not the kids fault his parents are like that - I usually offer to make something anyway so it wouldn't bother me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (22-04-2014),Gracie's Mum  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post

What would I do... I would get the child a cheap gift cos it may be the only present they get. But we would still attend the event because dd1 has been invited to a byo everything, including entry to a indoor playground, party and we were the only attendees. The poor child.
    Aww that's sad. Makes me feel p!ssed off with that child's parents. They should have gone with a more affordable alternative if they couldn't afford to cover the guests entry costs. I really don't understand some people. Now that child will always remember only one kid turned up to their birthday party. That's not a memory I would want DS to have and i feel the parents are to blame for that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend of ours did this recently. She's a newly single mum and still wanted her DD to have a nice birthday with her friends, I don't see an issue with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh and yep maccas parties... The invited child was always paid for by the parents of birthday child and any extras were paid for by the extras or the parents of extras. I found maccas parties were actually cheaper than hosting a full party yourself. 10 kids @ $7.50 a child.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014),kim85  (22-04-2014),Serenity Love  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's different if it's a friend/family. But if it was a random kid from the op's child's class that she doesn't know them or the parents I think it's strange.
    My DD got invited to so many parties last year and never once got asked to bring food/drink or pay entry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they have kids with lots of allergies? So they are asking people to bring their own food so they are not catering for 4/5 diff eating issues?

Maybe they cannot afford a full party but still want to celebrate?

I see no harm in packing a picnic and going along to celebrate...seems pretty jaded.

Maybe they have paid for an entertainer to come to the park as that is what their kid really wanted and there was not enough room at home.

There could be so many options...as a parent of kids with allergies i always have to take my own food to parties (including our own cake) so i don't see it as a big deal. We go to lots of different parties....if i didn't go because I had to take my own food we wouldn't go anywhere.

So, IMO....get off your high horse and if your kid likes the kid that invited them...pack a picnic, grab a present and go have a fun time.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (22-04-2014),Maxwell's Silver Hammer  (22-04-2014),MINIRoo  (23-04-2014),Nikita333  (23-04-2014),Pearlygirl  (22-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (22-04-2014),SoThisIsLove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I hosted my daughters 3rd birthday party at a park and on the invite I asked everyone to bring something they know their kid would eat.

Dd and Ds were the only Australian born children at the childcare centre and I wanted to make sure ALL the children had something they would eat. What is a party without food you like? Also I thought this was the safest way to hold it as half the kids were not talking yet.

Edit: I over catered food too so it was not about the amount of food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's easy to not offend and still cater. Shapes are $2 a packet , smiths chips / Doritos are 2 for $4 sakatas 2 for $3.50 and natural confectionary company lollies are on sale at woolies this week. Yes it's not healthy but for under $20 you have nibbles. Put the party on at either morning or afternoon tea time and some packets of shapes, a few packets of chips and a couple of packets of lollies is less likely to offend than byo.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (22-04-2014),mel04  (22-04-2014),onionskin  (22-04-2014),Serenity Love  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have often had parties/celebrations/get togethers, call them what you will, over the years for anything from a birthday, housewarming, or just catching up with mates and usually ask people to bring something (a side/salad or nibbles and others drinks if they want something other than beer or soft drink) but have made it abundantly clear that no presents are required. I didn't think it was that bad to ask people to contribute? At least no one in my friends group seems to mind, we all do it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (22-04-2014)