+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have recently been invited to a first birthday in a park too and we also had to each bring a plate of food and our drinks. The annoying thing was that they didn't put on the food or organise it so no one ate as no one wanted to be first to help themselves and open containers etc. after three hours we left starving and I was a bit annoyed tbh. Got maccas on the way home lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I find it odd and it would annoy me too. Infact a work colleague did this recently and told me she was having her 30th in a park and she will be bringing subway and everyone else can bring their favourite type of byo takeout! How is that a party?It really surprised and annoyed me. We didn't end up attending.

I get that parties are expensive but if you can't afford to cater for everyone, to some extent, whether it be a full blown buffet of just a few nibbles and cake, then don't have a party! Or only invite the amount of people you CAN cater for. I sometimes wonder if people do these things for present grabs. As kids, we didn't have a party every year. Most years it was just mum cooking a special dinner and cake with extended family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't really entered the world of kids parties yet but I wouldn't have found this weird. I just went to a hens day where everyone bought a plate to share and it was great, didn't even think it was weird tbh. We go to a lot of bbq's where people need to BYO and if the host is providing the meat, then people need to bring salads/nibbles to share etc.

Parties can get very expensive and say you are inviting 10 kids plus their parents then thats 20 -30 people coming along - a lot to feed. They will probably provide snacks and cake/lolly bags etc - I don't think its too much to ask people to bring something along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a fair trip from home for us, and there was a party for the birthday child last year at a play centre, of which we had to pay for our own kid

I doubt ill be going tbh. Where is the fun of.a party without food to share?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parties can be expensive, but you could always say "byo drinks morning/afternoon tea will be provided etc.". It's not hard to bake some cupcakes and cut up some fruit and vegie's and with dip. I find it strange, is it a party if everyone is bringing their own food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So last years party you had to pay to attend? And this years party you have to cater for yourself? Do they put on snacks and lollies for the kiddies? Sorry but it sounds like a present grab to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would find it rude. If the parent/s are broke, have some chips, cheap lollies, fairy bread and cocktail franks. That wouldn't even cost $20. The fact they made people pay all the costs for the play centre last year tells me this is a pattern and probably a present grab. They get to spend zero on the party every year while the guests pay for the food, then give presents. Very very rude.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

dee1  (22-04-2014),mel04  (22-04-2014),onionskin  (22-04-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (22-04-2014),Wise Enough  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep that is odd! I can never be bothered catering a full meal for everyone so I make sure DD's parties have either been before or after lunch so people don't expect a meal. Last year she had hers at the pool so I got her to choose 5 friends plus her 2 cousins and paid for their entry then just made cupcakes and had some fruit and pretzels, it was cheap as! And obviously if hers is at the park it's cheaper again as no entry fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously!? So people can't ask for their kids friends to attend a casual party at the park without feeding a load of people? They have to provide everything and asking people to bring something along is rude and a present grab?

Doesn't anyone remember the days of the 80's and 90's where you went to maccas or pizza hut for your friends birthday? I can guarantee that the parents of the birthday child didn't pay for each kid to attend those parties. If my mum kicked up a stink every time one of those parties came along I would have missed out on lots of fun.

Unbelievable!

Sometimes I wonder what I am getting myself into with this whole baby thing! There are so many rules!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    Hi

My child has been invited to a birthday party in a public park. On the invite, it says 'BYO food and drinks'.

Gifts for the birthday child would still be expected, but I don't get the 'BYO food' thing!

Am I being a stick-in-the-mud for not wanting to attend?

I would never invite kids to a birthday party for my child and then not want to feed them! I think it's strange

Thoughts??
    I would call that a casual byo picnic, not a party. We did the same for my daughter for her second birthday, but provided cake, drinks and nibbles. Everyone knew it wasn't officially lunch so we had no complaints. We did it that way because of money.