+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well given it appears to be at their home, then I would feel a little strange bringing food for my kids. How on earth would you know what to bring? What happens if you are sitting there eating packed sandwiches & another family turns up with Maccas?! Way too difficult - it doesn't sound like they've given it much thought.

However if it was at a venue or park then that's no big deal to me! Actually we are planning on having our kids birthday at a pub this year. They don't cater for adults at kids' birthdays so people will need to buy their own meals if they wish to eat something other than cake!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Assassin View Post
    Well given it appears to be at their home, then I would feel a little strange bringing food for my kids. How on earth would you know what to bring? What happens if you are sitting there eating packed sandwiches & another family turns up with Maccas?! Way too difficult - it doesn't sound like they've given it much thought.

However if it was at a venue or park then that's no big deal to me! Actually we are planning on having our kids birthday at a pub this year. They don't cater for adults at kids' birthdays so people will need to buy their own meals if they wish to eat something other than cake!
    This was me and my kids at almost every social situation from birth to 4 yrs because of food allergies so I really don't see the big deal. While others were tucking in to cake and junk food my kids would be eating home packed dairy, egg, wheat, soy and gluten free snacks. They still loved to go to parties though and they eventually outgrew the allergies and could tuck into all the party food like the other kids. When dd and ds had their birthday parties I would let everyone know that all the food I provided would be allergy free and some of their kids might not like it so to bring something if that was the case.

I really don't understand all the fuss. Different folks, different strokes. Where exactly is the rule book that states how a kids party should be held?
    Last edited by RipperRita; 23-04-2014 at 12:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    This was me and my kids at almost every social situation from birth to 4 yrs because of food allergies so I really don't see the big deal. While others were tucking in to cake and junk food my kids would be eating home packed dairy, egg, wheat, soy and gluten free snacks. They still loved to go to parties though and they eventually outgrew the allergies and could tuck into all the party food like the other kids. When dd and ds had their birthday parties I would let everyone know that all the food I provided would be allergy free and some of their kids might not like it so to bring something if that was the case.

I really don't understand all the fuss. Different folks, different strokes. Where exactly is the rule book that states how a kids party should be held?
    Completely different when allergies are involved, plus you notified parents the reason why they may wish to bring their own food

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a believer that if you want people to come and share the day with you and your child, then you do need to go to some length to make it comfortable for your guests. Putting it onto the guests to pay their own way I feel is setting your child up for people to not come along, and i feel that's unfair on the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Completely different when allergies are involved, plus you notified parents the reason why they may wish to bring their own food
    My point was more about saying that why is it unfeasible to pack food for your kids? People with allergies HAVE to do it all the time when they attend parties (and yes we still buy gifts as well) and it's not really a big deal. And yeah sometimes your kids have to eat sandwiches while others eat macca's but that's life. My kids had to do that for years.

I'd have no qualms about hosting a party where I asked everyone to BYO food and drinks. I haven't because I love party planning and $$ isn't really a problem but if I was broke I'd do it.... And truly I can't imagine any of my friends or kids friends parents minding. They are pretty easy going bunch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

River Song  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    I am a believer that if you want people to come and share the day with you and your child, then you do need to go to some length to make it comfortable for your guests. Putting it onto the guests to pay their own way I feel is setting your child up for people to not come along, and i feel that's unfair on the child.
    No one ever catered for my dairy, soy, wheat, eggs and gluten free kids at their parties... And I never expected it. We just quietly packed our own and never made a big deal. We were just glad to be invited.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014),River Song  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question for those that have issues that food should be provided for kids at parties. Would you provide food for kids with allergies at one of your kids parties? Would you make a dairy, soy, wheat, egg and gluten free party food if one of the kids attending were allergic because frankly what everyone is whinging about is the kind of things people with allergies face every time they are invited somewhere and most of us just cop it on the chin and assume nothing will be provided and pack our own.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 23-04-2014 at 15:33.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

River Song  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question for those that have issues that food should be provided for kids at parties. Would you provide food for kids with allergies at one of your kids parties? Would you make a dairy, soy, wheat, egg and gluten free party food if one of the kids attending were allergic because frankly what everyone is whinging about is the kind of things people with allergies face every time they are invited somewhere and most of us just cop it on the chin and assume nothing will be provided and pack our own.
    If I knew about the allergy, absolutely. I would also make sure all the children could eat the birthday cake. My friend and her children are vegan, so I make a vegan cake. People who suffer allergies have to modify recipes all the time, it's no big deal for me to do it for one day.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (23-04-2014),Serenity Love  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked parents on the invitations to advise of any special dietary requirements when RSVPing as a little girl in my son's CC room last year had an egg allergy and I would have felt awful if one of the kids missed out on the cake and party food. None of the parents advised of any allergies though so I just made what I wanted and we didn't have any issues.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (23-04-2014),VicPark  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's awesome. In the all the countless parties we've been invited to, no one has ever supplied anything my kids could eat. Cept carrot sticks and fruit. My kids never got to share in any birthday cake. They were so good about it too. Made me such a proud mumma