+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    I haven't read all the comments but I think it would depend on how the invitation was worded.

If it was like, we are going to the park to celebrate ....'s birthday .. We would love for you to come along, bring a plate of food to share and celebrate. Then I wouldn't care at all.
    The invitation is worded...'Please come along to celebrate ***'s special day at 'address here'. BYO food and drinks', and a request to dress in a particular theme (that screams PARTY to me!) There is no mention of snacks being provided, as at last year's event where we had to pay for our own kid, the entry fee also covered some finger food, so there was no mention of BYO last year.

I really don't think I will be going. TBH I'm not very happy. This family I have known for a long time (since we were kids) and the birthday kid is an only child.

Because I have to travel a fair distance (over 1.5 hours each way), would be expected to supply a gift AND BYO my own food for my crew I think I'll decline.

I don't understand. It doesn't take much to throw some sausages on the barbie and buy a box of cheezels! I would never consider inviting people to a function and then telling them they have to cater themselves! Ah, I dunno. I know it's unfair on the birthday child but I would dare say we won't be the only invitees declining after being told to pay for ourselves 2 years in a row.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (23-04-2014),VicPark  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also after reading through the posts about the Maccas parties, my DD1 had one of those. I invited 6 guests and paid for them all myself. It wasn't that expensive. I would find it the height of rudeness to be invited to a birthday party at Maccas and then be told I have to pay for my own kids's meal! Seriously? That is just a gift grab. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh see I think that wording is fine for a BYO celebration.

(I know in this instance there are other things influencing your decision to attend or not).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op, i wouldn't go either unless it was my kids best friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    I really don't think I will be going. TBH I'm not very happy. This family I have known for a long time (since we were kids) and the birthday kid is an only child.
    If you've known them a long time, can't you just talk to them and ask them if they're providing nibbles at least or if you can help somehow with the party..? You say it upsets you a bit so I think you should talk to them.

I think there's a lot of assumptions been made in this thread. Not everyone thinks the same about these sorts of things. I know at DS's daycare there's a couple of parents who never rsvp but still turn up to parties. I'd NEVER do that but clearly they're clueless regarding rsvp ettiquite - it doesn't make them bad people though. There's worse things in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    There's worse things in life.
    Of course there's worse things in life! You could write that on almost every thread on bubhub. The op clearly just thought it was strange and wanted to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    The invitation is worded...'Please come along to celebrate ***'s special day at 'address here'. BYO food and drinks', and a request to dress in a particular theme (that screams PARTY to me!) There is no mention of snacks being provided, as at last year's event where we had to pay for our own kid, the entry fee also covered some finger food, so there was no mention of BYO last year.

Because I have to travel a fair distance (over 1.5 hours each way), would be expected to supply a gift AND BYO my own food for my crew I think I'll decline.

I don't understand. It doesn't take much to throw some sausages on the barbie and buy a box of cheezels! I would never consider inviting people to a function and then telling them they have to cater themselves! Ah, I dunno. I know it's unfair on the birthday child but I would dare say we won't be the only invitees declining after being told to pay for ourselves 2 years in a row.
    I wouldn't go either given the fact it's 3 hours out of your way. It would be cheaper to just post a gift when you take into consideration petrol, food, drinks and a gift. But it would depend on how close I was to this person, there are friends I would travel that distance for, but others not so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would assume it was a money issue and just go along..

All kids deserve parties not just the ones whose parents can afford to feed everyone.

I do think that parties are a minefield these days... Bring back the days where you got to eat a donut tied to the clothes line and the apple you bobbed out of
    The bucket! Lol

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They have a year to save up for a birthday. In saying that why does a child deserve to miss out?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why does there need to be rules? Why do parents have to do something the same way everyone else does it? Why should their child miss out on a party if they can't afford it?
    Not something I would do myself, but I wouldn't feel offended by it or even think twice about it really. Happy to take present and my own food and help the child celebrate their birthday, without needing to be fed.
    If I choose to pay to feed all the kids that come to my children's birthday parties, then that's what I want to do. I don't understand the whole "it's unfair" thing. You do your thing, let other people do it their way.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (23-04-2014),monkey&&me  (23-04-2014),mousky  (27-04-2014),Peebs  (27-04-2014),RipperRita  (23-04-2014),River Song  (23-04-2014),sydney1980  (23-04-2014)