+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Invited to kids party but told to BYO food and drinks?

Hi

My child has been invited to a birthday party in a public park. On the invite, it says 'BYO food and drinks'.

Gifts for the birthday child would still be expected, but I don't get the 'BYO food' thing!

Am I being a stick-in-the-mud for not wanting to attend?

I would never invite kids to a birthday party for my child and then not want to feed them! I think it's strange

Thoughts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh wouldn't bother me. Maybe the can't afford to feed everyone, I know it costs us roughly $200 to cater for our kids parties. They just want to celebrate and enjoy their child's birthday

3. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It does seem a bit strange to call it a party but tell everyone to bring their own food and drinks!

Maybe they're really strapped for cash and can't afford to throw a standard party? It's not something I'd do myself, even though I'm on a tight budget.

Is it a close friend of your child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    If it's family or close friends then I wouldn't find it weird at all. We've often been to parties like this.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is really odd. I would never invite people to a party and expect them to cater for themselves. That said, I'd still attend because I'm sure my son would have fun either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a kids party once where there was no food - we hung around for ages waiting for the cake to be told they are having it at home with just family later on - it was odd. Thankfully DD2 was a baby so I had her food with me, poor DD1 was starving.
    I don't think you can call it a party if you aren't providing any food or drinks. Just call it a get together and then people won't feel obliged to bring a gift as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a little unusual. I get that parties are expensive. But there is no rule that says you have to have one every yr.

We did a day at the skate park, nibbles, drinks and cupcakes provided instead of a proper party. It was cheap and the kids had a blast.

We will prob have a sleepover or some kind of kids low key thing with only three or so special friends for ds again this yr. cause a 'traditional' party was just too much expense for us.

I don't think you can really call it a party when you are asking everyone to bring things. Its a little like a BBQ where you have to byo meat, drinks & chairs. Really all ppl are providing is the venue. : /

Thanks
    Reviews
    Odd way to have a party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strange. I don't understand it tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were invited to a party of dds school acquaintance. Never met the family. The party was by everything, in a park a fair hike away, at 9:30am!!!
    We went anyway as Dd wanted to go, but it was odd, and none of the mums spoke to me and I just stood there feeling uncomfy.
    Funnily enough, when we had a party for Dd we invites the child, they rocked up and had the sibling come up and ask me if they were allowed to.stay also and the parents took off and left them both.
    I didn't mind as I'm always more.the merrier, but it does seem odd.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app