+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alternatie therapy to reflux

Hi I am 32yo mum and I have a 4 months old daughter and she has been vomiting almost every single time I bottle feed her.

She cries more often than other children and she does not like lying on her back. We've tried many meds including ancimax and losec without any improvements.

I would love to try any alternative therapy but I don't know much about them.

My friend suggested me to seek a chiropractor because reflux may be from a spine misalignment but I am a little unsure if chiropractors can help. Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amylove View Post
    My friend suggested me to seek a chiropractor because reflux may be from a spine misalignment but I am a little unsure if chiropractors can help. Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Chiropractic is, bluntly, quackery. From Chiropractic controversy and criticism (my emphasis):

"Vertebral subluxation, the core concept of chiropractic, is not based on solid science. A 2010 report found that spinal manipulation therapies are effective for the treatment of low back pain, neck pain, some kinds of headaches and a number of extremity joint conditions. Commenting on this study, Edzard Ernst stated that it was a notorious example of a pseudo-systematic review that omitted evidence, for instance, of negative primary studies. A 2008 review found that with the possible exception of back pain, chiropractic manipulation has not been shown to be effective for any medical condition."

To quote Tim Minchin:

"By definition", I begin
    "Alternative Medicine", I continue
    "Has either not been proved to work,
    Or been proved not to work.
    Do you know what they call "alternative medicine"
    That's been proved to work?
    Medicine."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duncan_bayne For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has been healed from her reflux. From the 1st evening that she was given to me, I knew she was having problems with burping. She is & has been 100% breastfed from the 1st hour of birth. Nonetheless, after being home for a few days, she was fussy right after she ate and I was not able to lay her down without her crying. Then after 1 week she had started to vomit after eating. She rarely burped.

I then started letting her sleep on my chest through the night. That of course was no fun for me, (major back aches) And then my husband would get frustrated because he could not cuddle with me. At her 1st ped visit, of 2 weeks old, the ped said it was normal & that since she was breastfed to not worry it would soon pass. He stated for me to watch my diet i.e. milk, peanuts, etc..I did just that. But still my LO would vomit, spit up and suffer from gassiness. So I then went for a visit to my Chiroprator to find out I was mis-aligned (after giving birth) and he adjusted me. I then asked him if in fact could my baby could be mis-aligned too? He says of course, bring her in for an exam & I will explain birth trama.

At 10 weeks old my daughter was on her way to her 1st visit for her vacinnes in which we have a new ped (due to insurance) Our new ped said that her reflux was normal too. So the next day we went to the Chiro's office.
    After examing our daughter he stated that her upper spine was slightly mis-aligned (the C1 & C2 veterbra) He used a tapping tool, that has a very light tap, similar to a spinning toothbrush. but even lighter. After he tapped her on the C1 & C2, I stood up and held her & she burped 3 times in a row. I was so shocked that tears came out of my eyes.

I went home & her bowl movements were beautiful. When I changed her diaper she started to smile & laugh like I had never seen before. Prior to that her smiles were very small. Now she is shining her gums from ear to ear. So, now after 8 days of her 1st exam, I have the happiest baby ever & she has not spit up at ALL.....REALLY NO SPIT UP, NO VOMIT! Can you believe it. She eats normally still and burps immediately and now sleeps on her back & sometimes tummy.

Find a local chiropractor that you know & trust. But most importantly make sure they work on infants. Be sure to interview your chiroprator too. I take both my babies to the chiropractor & I credit their great health to that & of course my breastfeeding. Also, while I was in the lobby there was another Mom there with her 6 month old baby who was there for her 2nd visit & stated that her baby had acid reflux when he was born too. He was a formula baby and was on all different types of meds. and now that her baby has seen the chiropractor he is cured and no longer needs meds. What a testimony.

I thank you for reading my post. Please feel free to ask any questions or advice.

Best Regards!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan_bayne View Post
    Chiropractic is, bluntly, quackery. From Chiropractic controversy and criticism (my emphasis):

"Vertebral subluxation, the core concept of chiropractic, is not based on solid science. A 2010 report found that spinal manipulation therapies are effective for the treatment of low back pain, neck pain, some kinds of headaches and a number of extremity joint conditions. Commenting on this study, Edzard Ernst stated that it was a notorious example of a pseudo-systematic review that omitted evidence, for instance, of negative primary studies. A 2008 review found that with the possible exception of back pain, chiropractic manipulation has not been shown to be effective for any medical condition."

To quote Tim Minchin:

"By definition", I begin
    "Alternative Medicine", I continue
    "Has either not been proved to work,
    Or been proved not to work.
    Do you know what they call "alternative medicine"
    That's been proved to work?
    Medicine."
    Thank you for your feed back, Duncan. I'm little more scared now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amylove View Post
    Thank you for your feed back, Duncan. I'm little more scared now
    You should be yoda_star_wars.gif...

Not only is there no clinical evidence that chiropractic is effective for any medical condition except (possibly) back pain, but chiropractic adjustment is also physically dangerous and has killed people.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chirostroke.html

In 2003, a coroner's jury concluded that Lana Dale Lewis of Toronto, Canada, was killed in 1996 by a chiropractic neck manipulation. Among other things, the jury recommended that all patients for whom neck manipulation is recommended be informed that risk exists and that the Ontario Ministry of Health establish a database for chiropractors and other health professionals to report on neck adjustments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked my GP her thoughts on chiropractors for infants and she said what makes her feel uncomfortable and not recommend them is that they find an issue with every single child that goes to see them. Statistically it is incredibly unlikely that every child has a chiropractic issue requiring intervention, yet every one taken to a chiro recieves intervention. For me, that made up my mind not to pursue that treatment

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I took ds to a chiro (experienced in treating pregnant woman & children) from 1.5 weeks old. Not for reflux though but for a weak/stiff neck causing attachment issues while bfing. She did treat his diaphram at a couple of our appointments so that could be something that would impact reflux (she asked whether he was very refluxy when she picked it up).

An experienced chiro will not do manual adjustments on a baby, just very gentle pressure & stretching. They will demonstrate on your hand first so you can experience just how gentle it is!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app