+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Thanks heaps, I was hoping you'd reply

Were you unable to see a paed because all their books were closed?

Another question I have is, does a GP ask a lot of questions before they agree to refer your child on for diagnosis?
    All sorts of reason, some wouldn't see kids not at school, one didn't see kids with behavioural problems. It was such a nightmare and we are going through it again. .
    GPs didn't ask too many questions which I wonder if that had an impact on the referrals being knocked back. I did get a letter from the daycare outlining all their concerns which helped. They had picked up on things I didn't even know where an issue like low muscle tone.
    Do you use daycare? I'd get them to highlight all their concerns in a letter if you do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Something else that might be of use, last GP visit we had to get a referral, he said don't even try places like kaleidoscope. The GP said they have no interest and will fob off all your concerns. So you best bet is to find a private pead or psych.

Also if you want to start with an OT assessment (might be easier to get into), I've been recommended one at Hamilton by a couple of people. I can't remember her name but can look it up after work if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Something else that might be of use, last GP visit we had to get a referral, he said don't even try places like kaleidoscope. The GP said they have no interest and will fob off all your concerns. So you best bet is to find a private pead or psych.

Also if you want to start with an OT assessment (might be easier to get into), I've been recommended one at Hamilton by a couple of people. I can't remember her name but can look it up after work if you like.

The OT recommendation would be great when you have a chance, thanks so much. To answer your other question, DS isn't at day care yet.

I'm kind of daunted and saddened by the fact that there are all these parents having to 'fight' for a diagnosis for their child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Anytime you wanna chat or anything. Shoot me a pm
    Thank you, I'm sure I'll need it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    The OT recommendation would be great when you have a chance, thanks so much. To answer your other question, DS isn't at day care yet.

I'm kind of daunted and saddened by the fact that there are all these parents having to 'fight' for a diagnosis for their child
    Hey, just had a look and her name is Melanie Ward.

The fight to get a diagnosis is only part of it. It's an absolute nightmare once they start school. My DS will most likely end up being expelled. There is no school better suited to his needs, there is no funding for his diagnosis. Even the attitudes and perceptions of those you have to deal with are often appauling. The fight to have your child treated as an equal and not have them written off as a 'bad child' is so frustrating. You really shouldn't have to fight but unfortunately you do, constantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My son was easy to get diagnosed but he was very low functioning. a 2 yr old spinning in circles on his toes making a whirrrrrring noise and flapping his hands was not hard to diagnose.

He is counted as high functioning now through intensive therapy and has a 1 on 1 support worker for 1 hour every school day. The other parents i have found, have been the hardest to talk to when i explain his intense limitations (eg why he is headbutting the ground to the point of blood coming off his face due to the nature of the birthday party we came to ect)

My daughter, I am going through the process now of having her diagnosed as aspergers. It is harder as she is so good and nice but she is differant then her peers. If this is due to being gifted or picking up traits from her brother, we do not know but it needs to be done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just thought I'd update this thread - our long awaited paed appointment is this afternoon. I'm not really sure what to expect, but we have OT reports, reports from DS's speech therapist and reports from the early intervention play group he attends.

Firstchance (who run the early intervention play group) have also arranged and will fund DS to see a child psychologist. First appointment is tomorrow with parents only, then I assume we'll return for subsequent visits with DS.

We are getting closer, but I still don't really know how this whole diagnostic process is supposed to play out! Hopefully I'll have a better idea by the end of the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Good luck today! I hope you make some progress in getting some answers!
    You are really lucky to having funding for a psych. The diagnostic process first time around cost me $1300.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Good luck today! I hope you make some progress in getting some answers!
    You are really lucky to having funding for a psych. The diagnostic process first time around cost me $1300.
    Thanks HM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @Degrassi how did you go at the paed appointment yesterday?