+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gift voucher expiry grrrr

I think gift vouchers make amazing presents but it infuriates me the way some places put a six month expiry on theirs. Mine is from an expensive day spa and I just assumed (never assume!) it was 12 months and now it's expired. Grrrrr. Been on their website and there is no mention when you buy them up front that they are only six months validity, I went to "purchase" one and it took me straight to PayPal so obviously it's very fine print.

I sent cent a polite but obviously irritated email to see if it is negotiable, it took a lot of control not to rant and rave via email but I think it's best to start with a reasonable enquiry first. But I had to get it off my chest. Very wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is so annoying. I also hate how the Westfield gift cards charge you a surcharge for purchase as well, so a $50 gift card actually costs closer to $60.

How far expired is your gift card? Hopefully if it's within a few days/week they'll oblige, but if it's a few months out I can't imagine they'll honor it. Where did you find the 6month expiry date in the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually had a company honour a voucher that was more than 6 months past it's expiry! So don't lose hope just yet :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

jacquilove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck, I hope they honour it! A friend was given some of those prepaid Visa cards as her gift from the office when she went on maternity leave. She forgot all about them til a bit over a year later and asked to have them honoured but she was rejected. Over $300 worth too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

jacquilove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    Good luck, I hope they honour it! A friend was given some of those prepaid Visa cards as her gift from the office when she went on maternity leave. She forgot all about them til a bit over a year later and asked to have them honoured but she was rejected. Over $300 worth too!
    Oh no. And Visa is such a big company too. It's not like they would lose any cash by honoring it either. I think some companies bank on people forgetting they have gift cards/vouchers and make quite a tidy profit.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (22-04-2014),jacquilove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only 80% of vouchers are ever redeemed (according to a report I read 6-ish months ago). It is a HUGE money maker, that's why so many companies encourage you to buy them instead of giving cash.
    Also watch the pre-set ones from post office and chains as the expiry is already set on the card so it could be ready to expire when purchased if stock isn't rotated or sold regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not long ago when robins kitchen went into receivership all gift cards were then null and void.... A lady got over $1000 worth of gift cards from her wedding went to use them once home from her honeymoon to find they were no good. And another lady bought a gift card the same morning before the receivership was announced then was told sorry tough luck... I like gift cards but think some companies need to wake up to themselves

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

jacquilove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Same thing with Mothercare. I know people who were given gift cards at baby showers etc then went to use them and they wouldn't accept them. I don't think there was even much notice. Hundreds of dollars gone in such a short space of time. It's a total crock when that happens. I mean I know when a company goes into receivership they're up the creek financially, but surely the purchase of a gift card is a contract of sorts.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

grooviechic35  (22-04-2014),jacquilove  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually remember a consumer affairs report that said it was not legal to put an expiry on it as they had taken your money...Maybe look into it if they say no.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (22-04-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (22-04-2014),jacquilove  (22-04-2014),M'LadyEm  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is from qld consumer affairs , not sure what state you're in as they are different.

The merchant must: Provide a reasonable time period in which the card can be redeemed. We recommend allowing at least two to five years. Make the expiry date prominent on the card.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

jacquilove  (22-04-2014),M'LadyEm  (22-04-2014)