+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nursing strike or weaning?

My 11-month- old has started refusing the breast. I haven't managed to feed him since Sat morning - so more than 48 hours now.
    I think it's connected to teething - he is constantly sucking/biting his fingers and loving frozen fruits etc. He's also biting me.
    I have kept offering him the boob but he either arches away or bites down on my boob really hard. I then tell him no, move him away and he gets really upset. It's been impossible to get him to latch

I'm was hoping to continue feeding him, especially as he has a dairy allergy

Would love advice on trying to encourage him back to the breast and also protecting my supply in the meantime. The whole thing is really stressing me - does this sound like a nursing strike or could he be weaning?
    Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would say nursing strike at the moment.
    Ds2 did this a few times.

Try giving frozen fruit (since bub is loving it) or a cold face washer to suck on before putting bub on the boob.
    If its teething this will help. Bub will stop putting the pain association on to the boob.
    To help with your supply I would pump or hand express every time bub refuses. You can then give ebm so the taste is the same when you get bub back on the boob.
    I would also not give a bottle at that age. I started ds2 on a sippy cup he could chew on. It was messy but it helped. If he wanted to suck he had to come back to the boob as he never took a dummy.

Good luck.
    I hope some of that will help.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like bub is reluctant due to sore gums/teething. You could consider giving some pain relief about 20-30 minutes before offering the boob. Or giving some cold flannels to chew on or some teething gel on the gums.

I think the trick is to not force baby towards the breast but keep offering it to him. Unfortunately they seem to pick up on stress so try and keep as calm as possible. Maybe sit around with no top on, try and have some skin-to-skin and let him come to you. Maybe a fun bath together?

Kellymom website has some great tips - maybe look that up?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much DueInAugust and sunny bambino.
    Will keep persevering and try to provide some stress- free opportunities to feed.
    This has all happened while we're away for the Easter break so hoping being back in a familiar environment will also help. Wish me luck

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowiegirl For This Useful Post:

Sookie Stackedhouse  (22-04-2014),Sunnybambino  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you getting on? Any luck today??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    Sadly no change. He isn't wriggling from me but I just can't get him to latch - only bite, hard!
    I've been pumping - which is such a pain, hats off to the women who do it long- term! He's happy to have EMB from his sippy, which is something.
    We're home now so at least I have my electric pump
    The early childhood centre has a b'feeding clinic which I'm going to try to get into this week.
    The whole thing is so frustrating. I had assumed I would be the one who had to reluctantly wean him from the boobs! Never occurred to me he would one day just stop!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The breastfeeding clinic was not much use. Very brusk and harried nurse told me that DS is self-weaning and to get over it, essentially. I may have had a cry in the middle of the waiting room. The shame. She softened up a bit after that.
    i then came home and called the ABA and got through to a fantastic counsellor. She'a encouraged me to keep pumping and finding opportunities to offer him the boob, but she agrees he may just not be interested anymore.
    Am still feeling a bit befuddled by how quickly it all seems to have ended after him being so keen for so long. Oh well, assuming nothing changes in the next few days, I'm trying to feel pleased we almost made it to 12 months.
    The good news is I can come off the dairy-free diet once he's weaned. That's something to look forward to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow. It's pretty rare for a bub to self wean before around 18 months from all I've read (and that's been a lot lol) but it can happen. you've done a wonderful job to bf so long, esp if you had to change your diet too. Well done!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have done a fantastic job feeding this long! But don't give up all hope yet because nursing strikes can last a week or two so he may go back to it, and as Atropos said, it is rare for a babe to self-wean this young (and this suddenly).
    Just a couple more suggestions: have you tried feeding the ebm in the sippy cup in a breastfeeding position while you have your top off and then doing the old switcharoo to the breast mid-feed? Or waiting until he's in a deep sleep at night and breastfeeding while he's asleep?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Crowiegirl  (23-04-2014)